• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am just curious what the normal amount of time between belts is. It's just curiousity not anxiousness :P Thanks.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
In what art? In BJJ, it can be quite a long time between belts (years). In other styles, sometimes its only a few months. Either case, the higher up you go, the longer you wait between belts.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

It depends on the style and the organisation you are training under.

In my style (traditional japanese ju-jitsu), you can grade for the early kyu grades every three months. Its about a year between 1st kyu and 1st dan.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

In my style (Budo taijitsu), the time between ranks changes

for your first test, only one month. after that it becomes about 5 months between tests.

once you get to 5th kyu it changes dramaticall. usually about 8 months to a year between tests.

and of course sensei is never afraid to fail you if you dont know your stuff.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

tal,what system do you study?just curious. i study tradititional jujutsu also.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

In bjj it depends on talent, time on the mat, instructor, number of people at your level and better etc.

Usually 2 years to blue, a few more to purple, a few more to brown and then black belt is up to the instructor. People seem to be getting their belts faster now because there are more better people, so the junior grades get more exposure to the advanced guys which helps them to progress faster.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

depends on the style. I've been in bjj for two years, and am just now ready for blue belt. The same time in judo, and I am a 3rd degree brown. In judo, as long as you know your techniques, are good with them, compete, etc. you can advance pretty quick until you get to 3rd brown. Getting from there through the rest of the brown rankings can take about 2 years. After you get your shodan, The time increases ALOT.

• 2 weeks later...