• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have heard about an International American Kenpo school around the area. What is special about Kenpo if compared to other MAs ?

There are a few Kenpo orgs with 'International' in their title. If you can find out the particulars (name of organization, instructor, location, etc.) I'll see if I can find out about them.

What does American Kenpo consist of ? What are the main elements of this MA ? What is the difference in between Kempo and American Kenpo ?

This could take some time. Where to start... :-?

First, the thing that sets it apart from everything else, in my opinion, is that no other art I've seen or heard about gives as good a grounding and understanding in principles and concepts. AK doesn't just want you to know how to do it correctly, they want you to understand and be able to articulate why.

AK's training methods are a little different. We use techniques as the primary training tool to teach movement and principles. Each is like a mini kata. We also have forms and sets, drills, offensive moves, and a lot of basics, like anyone else. It was designed to be readily understandable to the Western mind, but never forgets its Oriental roots. Primarily of Chinese origins, it has a lot in common with the other Kempo systems that came from the same base. Sort of a first cousin to them.

Most people who see AK in action comment that it moves and flows. There is no wasted motion, and every move leads logically to the next. Those who spar against AK tend to comment on its speed and power, and the fact we're slippery devils, all of which come from understanding and adherence to the principles.

The system fights at all ranges, and has one of the most complete arsenals of natural weapons. It employs both soft and hard, circular and linear moves. It strives to completely control the fight, and the opponent(s) from start to finish. A lot of people find it brutal, but in actuality it gives you the option to establish more benign control, mitigate your force, or to totally devastate your opponent if the situation warrants it.

There's a lot more to it, obviously, but to really appreciate it you have to experience it. I'd recomend trying to get a trial lesson or two (some schools let you have a couple free to see if you like it). That goes for any prospective style or school, by the way. I've said here many times before that AK isn't for everyone, and it isn't the only effective style out there. But I'd recomend checking it out and comparing it to other styles in your area and see what you think you'd like.

One thing about it, if you start AK then decide to change to something else, the grounding in principles will put you far ahead of the game in any other art.

Freedom isn't free!