• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello,

actually this is one of these threads that exist at great number, but I would appreciate if you could give me some advice. I am interested in MA, but I have made some disappointing experiences. I once started Karate and Jiu Jitsu but both appeared to be too static and the movements were too rigid. I am looking for a MA that consists of fitness (to increas strength, endurance and body-control) combined with effectiveness. I am not averse to any traditional MA but I would prefer an art that concentrates on fitness and effectiveness. Furthermore I am not that interested in Kickboxing as my local club seems not to favour getting rich over a good class-atmosphere.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Most MA clubs in my area offer a free class. If I were you I would look at all difffernt sorts of MA and choose the one that you feel will accomplish all your goals and fits your needs.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Most MA clubs in my area offer a free class. If I were you I would look at all difffernt sorts of MA and choose the one that you feel will accomplish all your goals and fits your needs.

Yeah I think that will give the best result.

...I would prefer an art that concentrates on fitness and effectiveness...

Maybe Close Combat is something for you.

Greetzzz ChenZy

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be

You said you didn't like the "rigidness" about those arts, and you want effectiveness. Try a soft style, like Kung Fu or Wing Chun (sp?). It's flowing and it's effective.

It would be better if you gave us a list of styles in your area. Then we can better help you. Plus you would get more help in Getting started in MA section :)

Laurie F

How about Judo?

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

I once started Karate and Jiu Jitsu but both appeared to be too static and the movements were too rigid. I am looking for a MA that consists of fitness (to increas strength, endurance and body-control) combined with effectiveness.

A lot will depend on the school, and you, especially when it comes to fitness. But if there is an American Kenpo school near you I'd check it out. Also, look into any Fillipino Martial Arts schools. Both are serious, effective martial arts.

Grappling tends to get you into shape as good as anything, better than most. But I'd pick a style or school that also does a lot of standup work if you want real effectiveness.

Freedom isn't free!

In my area there is a whole lot of different clubs offering many different MAs. Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Kung fu, Karate, Jukate, TKD, JKD, Wing Chun.

@karatekid1975 why should I choose a soft style ? What do you mean ?

Does anyone of you know Jukate ? What is it like ?

@delta1 Actually I have heard about an International American Kenpo school around the area. What is special about Kenpo if compared to other MAs ?

I agree with Delta1. If there's an American Kenpo school near you go and check it out. It might be just what you're looking for.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.