• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm afraid to fail someone...

stupid america... i hate my countrymen...

anyway, you could try and recommend a student to test once you know he/shes ready, and advise them not to when theyre not. basically, dont let them test until theyre going to pass. maybe (assuming you charge for the tests) give them the re-test for free.

a broken arm throws no punches

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make things the easiest, I will continue with not testing students until I feel they are ready. I am also going to consult with them beforehand to see how they feel they are doing.

that's probably wise.... most of the time this saves hurt feelings and the afore mentioned consequences of failing a student. the last thing you need is litigation because someone failed a test.

Cho Dan - Tang Soo Do

Miller Tang Soo Do Institute

https://www.mtsdi.com

A good idea would be a contract that the students sign that would explain that testing is a privilage and is earned by work not $, this could possibly cut back on complaints and screen out un-willing students..

• 7 months later...

Well, not passing somebody who doesn't deserve to be passed seems more important than having a complaint filed. If they do, just tell the city how things are generally run in the martial arts. You pass your belt tests when you are ready...if not, then that could mean you'd have somebody with an ego full of what they don't know out on the streets.

• 1 month later...

However, you might have more luck with denominations like Methodist, Unitarian, Catholic, or Presbyterian. These tend to be more liberal and open to MA classes. Stay away from Baptist or Pentacostal churches.

Not always true. There is a dojo in my town that's run out of the basement of a Baptist Church.

Thank you for your replies.

To make things the easiest, I will continue with not testing students until I feel they are ready.

There is a simple solution. Here's an example, if you test once every three months, you post a list of who is ELIGIBLE to test. Those not on the list have to wait until the next test cycle. Then- only put the names on the list of people you know are capable of passing the test.

My Sensei has used this approach for almost 40 years.

When a stsudent comes in, not only do you have them sign a release, but you have them sign a paper agreeing to abide by the testing program along with the other school guidelines. In the document you state that testing is a privilige, not a right.

the only problem with that is in this situation you would have people whining about what the eligibility standards are. If they believe they've reached this standard, they will then ask why they aren't testing. The easiest way out of this is to join an association of whatever style you are in. Like if I were to join the Okinawan Budo Kai association for Isshin-Ryu. These organizations have specific testing guidelines that their instructors must adhere to. In some, they even make the students conduct their tests in front of a master. This would help with some of the bureacratic red tape. You now have a set of rules which were handed down by a governing body, that you must obey. Also, if your students must go to a master to be tested when you see fit, it would be a little embarassing to have them failed by someone who is considered an expert in their field. I'm sure someone with a little bit of intelligence and real world knowhow, like the people who should be on a city board would understand this.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

the only problem with that is in this situation you would have people whining about what the eligibility standards are. If they believe they've reached this standard, they will then ask why they aren't testing. The easiest way out of this is to join an association of whatever style you are in.

Sigh . . .you'rr junping to conclusions without asking questions.

1. The testing requirements ARE listed

2. We DO belong to an association.

3. As I said, he's been doing it this way for FORTY years with no problems. I have about 19 years experience and have taught for 6 of those years on my own, and I haven't had any problems either.Since you are on a college team, may I ask your age and how long you've been training and teaching?

If a student asks why they aren't on the testing list, we tell them PRIVATELY. Never had anyone whine or argue. A few leave, most buckle down and work harder.