trekmann

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

until yesterday i had never aquired an injury due to my karate training other than a bumb and a bruise here and there. During kumite, i threw a spinning heel kick to the back of a guy's head (he's 6'3", i'm 5'8") and my standing leg slipped. I almost fell to the ground, but threw my hand down to prevent from hitting the floor. Since i had my gloves on, i couldn't stop with my palm and my fingers hit the ground first. I jammed by right middle and ring fingers. My middle finger cannot bend at the middle knuckle and is swolen and purple. It hurts! And I've got a competition next saturday .... if it wasn't already bad enough, I'm a computer programmer so my workday consists of about nine hours of typing.

I feel for you SMR. As they say" I don't care what part of the universe you are from THAT'S GOTTA HURT"

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

Well, i get this almost everytime i fight -

I attack with round kick - opponent hits it with the elbow between the joins - thats a foul, but since we are sparring the only thing i can do is hold in the pain... usually lasts 2 or 3 days and i get it like 1 out of 3 times i fight with someone.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

I could have done a breakfall if i were moving horizontally at all, but I wasn't. If i tried to roll, i would have just landed on my head with no roll. But really, I think it was just that I didn't want to go down because that would give the other guy a chance to score.

Coco, i notice you study shito-ryu, what type of tournaments do you do where that is a foul? I'm used to the aau/wkf rules where unless i'm mistaken that's not a foul, it just hurts like crazy.

Most common injuries in my experience, jammed fingers/toes, hyperextension of elbows by begginners, mawashi-geri to elbow, black/cut eyes, bloody noses, and bumps and bruises. Less common but they do happen concussions, broken ribs, and knee injuries(usually from a bad sweep, or not rotating on plant foot during a kick).