• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most Common Karate Injuries

trekmann

Hi All,

I was wondering which injuries are sustained more often in Karate training? For example I know 2 students at my dojo who have sustained broken ribs from tournament sparring and/or grading tests.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jams or sprains to toes, fingers, arms, legs, etc. Just from contact or poor stretching.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

agreed...I have a sprained finger now....fell awkward last time we sparred

broken ribs....ouch! that's pretty serious! I never heard of your style....is it a lot of full contact?

KarateForums.com Sempai

Actually it is meant to be light contact Kumite, but sometimes it can get rougher.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

:o :o :o

Broken fingers and toes!!!!!!

There is nothing worse than punching or kicking an elbow.

Well, almost...... :wink:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

All of the above! The worst injury I've personally seen and sustained myself is a torn cruchia (sp?) ligament in my knee. While demonstrating a technique with a student he swept my knee. God, did that hurt! I had orthoscopic (sp?) surgery to it and it still gives me problems sometimes.

The other worst injury I sustained was working out in a park in my sensei's class one summer day, and while doing kata, this dang bush was in the way when I had to kick, so I just kicked through it. Well, what happened was, the bottom of my foot dragged alone a sharp branch and put a 6" gash in the bottom of my foot!

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If I got it right you are not asking for specifics but common injuries. In my experience with students it's usually repetitive motion type injuries from hyper-extending punches and kicks. This occurs with mainly lower ranks. In the upper ranks, I'd say sprains and strians of the fingers, toes. Occasional sparring injuries mainly to the ribs. The list goes on, but these are the most common ones that I have experienced.

I, myself, have had a broken rib. A broken thumb (don't ask ) and various bumps and bruises.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.