• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

anger

I'm not sure that I would label things exactly the way Tal did.

There is anger which you can use to focus on a given situation.

There is blind rage which can't be controlled, and which will cause you to completely lose your head and do something stupid.

Knowing how you tend to react, as well as knowing the warning signs of when this reaction is taking place can help you to overcome blind rage and help you to control and use your anger more constructively.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah on ferther inspection i guess tal is right but how many people can atchully do what tal said so i guess that is a skill worth perfecting

we do not fear death,

for we are death inccarenated!

may the inner fire never die for it is that can help you ceep going

dijita said:

Were you drunk when you wrote this?

no second thought i probly was but my drunken self had a point lol :D

we do not fear death,

for we are death inccarenated!

may the inner fire never die for it is that can help you ceep going

Anything that anger allows you to do in a fight, you can do without anger if you train yourself. You shouldn't need to have to focus anger to be able to achieve something, you should be able to do it with a cool head.

However, many of us cannot do that. That is when anger is helpful, when we don't otherwise have the aggression or discipline to do what it takes to get the job done. An 'ideal' fighter would never need anger. No one is the ideal fighter however, so we may need anger in some situations.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

I'm just reminded of the quote "If your temper goes forth withold your hand. If your hand goes forth withold your temper."

Here's a quote from a Martial Arts book by Jennifer Lawler that I was reading only yesterday.

Often, people act out their negative emotions by yelling at others, punching the wall and otherwise letting go. Losing contol both emotionally and physically can be dangerous not just to you but also to others. Punching the wall when your wife disagrees with you is an implied threat to your wife. So don't do it. Instead, learn to control your emotions and express them calmly.

Unfortunately, some martial artists use negative energy to focus their energy. Occasionally, when someone is having difficulty breaking a board or sparring an opponent, I'll hear a spectator (maybe a martial artist) yell, "Get mad at it!" or "Pretend the guy you're sparring is the boss you hate!" A good martial artist would never do this. You can be focused, determined, and even aggressive without getting mad. By forcing yourself to become angry in order to perform well, you're abusing yourself. You're also practicing your anger, which can lead to problems controlling your emotions. Never use negative emotions to generate energy and never encourage others to do so.

I agree with what she said... :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Sometimes, however, you need to express/release your anger. Punching a wall, for example, is a way of releasing stress and calming yourself. If you keep it all locked up and try to stay calm, you'll eventually explode and let it all out in one go, probably hitting your wife instead of the wall. Its a bit like a volcano (pardon the obscure analogy): If a volcano's vent is blocked up and it doesn't release all the gas inside it, the pressure inside it will build up until the actual mountain literally explodes; an event which is much worse than just gas and lava coming out of the vent.

This is different to using anger in martial arts. While practicing martial arts, you shouldn't intentionally get yourself angry. However, if you do get angry for whatever reason, you have to release the anger somehow.

You can be focused, determined, and even aggressive without getting mad.

I definately agree with that.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan