• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hold Escape Techniques

There are many ways to escape many different types of holds. The Basic headlock escape is what im going to talk about. In TKD we are told to use our legs and get out with a sweep of some sort. In Judo I was told to lay a quick elbow to the stomach and a quick throw to the ground finishing with some punches to the gut and face. I prefer the Judo technique because you can move faster and do more damage in my opinion. The Karate / TKD leg sweeping technique (or whatever) just isnt as good as throws when escaping Holds. This also comes up when people choose to cross train. Tell me what you think below, and how you are taught to escape holds. :grin:

Do unto others, as they done to you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can you be more specific as to the type of headlock and location of the attacker? :???:

We are taught many different escapes, based on the possition of the attacker and which type of hold he's using.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Just any basic head lock, the come from behind - Both hands head lock is what I am talking about in this post. I know that there about about a billion different types of head locks! har! :up:

Do unto others, as they done to you.

The basic one we're taught for that is to attack a pressure point with each hand, drop low and execute a shoulder throw. Once they're on the ground in front of you, pin with a knee to the neck.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

In my form of karate we are told to find the pinky of the attacker an bend it back. If it were in a real life situation we are told to break off the pinky. If you are crosstraining take what works. It will benifit yuou in sparring. :karate:

Boards don't hit back.

-Bruce Lee