• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Striking Vs. Grappling

When people fight they get adrenaline coursing their system. One of the effects of adrenaline is tunnel vision. You are just as vulnerable to an attack from an outside party if you're standing or on the ground. I've seen plenty of people trading blows with one person and then get his from behind.

Right, there are of course ways to teain people to be aware of their surrounding and otehr threats. but your right most people dont train that way and it's hard not to get tunnel vision especialy if your in a tough fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people fight they get adrenaline coursing their system. One of the effects of adrenaline is tunnel vision. You are just as vulnerable to an attack from an outside party if you're standing or on the ground. I've seen plenty of people trading blows with one person and then get his from behind.

Even if someone is completely blind, its a lot harder to hit them if they are on their feet and moving around, than if they are stuck on the floor grappling.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

Can someone please explain to me the big deal here? Striking and grappling are both used for specific situations. Sometimes one needs to be utilized over the other and sometimes they can be used together. Other than that, it's like comparing apples to oranges, one is no better than the other, just different.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I recently saw a police video where an officer was trying to controll two guys, he threw one and mouned the other. to make a long story short the other guy got up and was punching the officer in the face while he was mounted on his buddy. he could not controll the situation by himself by grappling and had to get back up and draw his gun. Anyway I would not grapple just because of that kind of thing can happan and also police are well traind to know what going on around them. I personally train to get out and back up.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

Can someone please explain to me the big deal here? Striking and grappling are both used for specific situations.

I'm thinking the problem here is that people sometimes let the system they studied dictate, rather than let common sense dictate. The system they study is a means to an end, not the end in and of itself. And i agree, Sasori-Te, everything has its application... the problem comes about when someone truly doesn't understand when to apply what application (apple, orange, or a fruit cocktail). I.e., lack of tactical skills and personal confidence often causes people to either abandon everything they have learned in school... or steadfastly adhere to it. Either is a bad course of action.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Can someone please explain to me the big deal here? Striking and grappling are both used for specific situations. Sometimes one needs to be utilized over the other and sometimes they can be used together. Other than that, it's like comparing apples to oranges, one is no better than the other, just different.

The question is which, striking or grappling, is more effective in most self defense situations.

Personally, I think that in the vast majority of situations, you should try to win the fight with striking. Some people agree with that view, some people disagree, that's why there is a discussion about it.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

There is no such thing as "most self defense situations".

There is no cookie cutter self defense situation in which the opponent A does technique B, so Defender C does technique D to counter.

This doesn't exist except in some poorly taught martial arts classes. In reality you have action and reaction. The question is do you have the knowledge and skill to give the proper reaction, whatever it may be?

There is no such thing as "most self defense situations".

There is no cookie cutter self defense situation in which the opponent A does technique B, so Defender C does technique D to counter.

This doesn't exist except in some poorly taught martial arts classes. In reality you have action and reaction. The question is do you have the knowledge and skill to give the proper reaction, whatever it may be?

I never said anything about 'cookie cutter self defense situations'. I'm quite aware that fights don't follow set patterns. I'm saying that in most self defense situations (i.e. more than half of the situations that occur) I believe striking is the most effective way of ending the situation and getting away with minimum injury. None of these situations will be the same, but in more than half of them, striking will be the best method of defense while striking is possible (if someone grabs hold of you, you have to grapple).

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

I don't know if I agree with the over half part, but I get what you're saying. i tend to agree with you for the most part. I was having this argument with one of my students one day. He was an excellent striker. He was a bit slight so he tended to ignore his groundwork since this was his worst facet. I told him it was a bit like building a house. You might be an excellent carpenter and have a really sturdy roof and frame. However a roof and frame do not a house make. I said unless you have the tools and the knowledge to build the rest of the house you're still going to be out in the cold. So I suggested that he find as many tools as he could and learn how to use them as well as he can. If I couldn't teach him then I could recommend someone that could. Striking and grappling are just two different methods needed to build a good solid martial arts dwelling. They each have their own sets of tools. A little cheezy I know but it's still a good analogy.

It is a good analogy and both are important. I just think that striking is the best thing to try in the majority of situations, mainly because it allows you to get away faster.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan