• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sensei

Smiler

I do shotokan and wado ryu the sensei's at my clubs don't stress that people call them sensei but by their first name- in class to. I just want to know if anyone out there have sensei's that do the same? i find calling them by their first name in class un as an old sensei of mine give out push up to people who called him JJ. :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I don't require students to call me Sensei. I do however require them to call me Sir or Mr. (last name) in class. They can also call me Sensei if they wish. I think boundaries should be in place in a class setting in order to establish the proper student teacher relationship. I don't believe that any of my students came to me because they wanted a friendship. They come to learn and I come to teach.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I've never had a sensei who wanted to be called anything other than sensei. But call your sensei what he wants you to call him.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

My instructor is definitely formal. BUT when we reach BB, he leaves it up to the BB's what they would rather be called (Mr/Miss "last name" or first name). I'll end up being the odd ball (first name).

My TSD instructor wasn't formal, except on the training floor. If we called him "Master," he gave us a dirty look LOL. He said Mr. B is fine.

So it depends on the instructor/dojo.

Laurie F

In the dojo it's "Sensei", outside the dojo it's "Graham".

I do know of at least one shotokan club where the instructor refuses to answer to "Sensei" and prefers being called by his first name instead.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

My instructor (my old one anyway) has earned the title master. He onyl makes us call him either sir or sensai though. I always wanted to call him master, some people have a problem with that, I don't. But I never did, he was a pretty strict guy and I wasn't sure how he'd react to it. lol. In fact the only person he would refeer to as Master is the Late Shimabuku, even other sensei's in the IWKA who wanted to be called Master he refused to. Thought it was pretty funny seeing him under mind them like that, like calling a 30 year old 'kid'.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty