• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Heian Shodan Application Thread

aznkarateboi

Thank you equaninimus. I worked your technique the day after you posted it. I thought the crescent step may have been the key but wasn't entirely sure. Also, on your strike to the bladder, when you strike is it a full out strike with the fingers to CV 4 or do you get there as fast as you can and press with a sort of jolting motion? Small details I know, but I'm just curious how techniques differ from artist to artist and style to style.

When I work it with seniors, I teach it as nukite. When I work it with kyu ranks, I leave the fists. Having said that, a 3/4 twist fist can hit the same target.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sorry, I always make the assumption of a nukite. Do you strike through with your spear hand, or do you strike in quick and light with a jolting type press on contact (Like a Chinese cavity press)? Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack the thread.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Personal opinion? Cavity press (See Pat McCarthy's article in the SRSI journal about six months back). But I often teach it as a strike through, just to emphasize targeting and kime.

That's the way I do it as well. I also teach the 3/4 turn punch to beginners and the strike through spear hand to more advanced students. I reserve the fine tuning for select students that have been training for awhile.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I have to add the qualifier that I haven't done Shotokan for about a year now, and I tend not to practice the Pinans as much as I should. This leads to embarrasing moments when, as one assists in an intermediate class, and one is going "up the ranks" in Kata (i.e.: the Kata continue and the students who have not learned a certain form sit down) we black belts are often shaky on Pinan I-V. Its with the Naihanchis that we regain firm footing. :D