• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Heian Shodan Application Thread

aznkarateboi

Yes, I know my profile says I do Kung Fu, and I do. A few months ago, I started taking Shotokan at my local chinese community center for fun and exercise (in addition to kung fu). I now know Heian Shodan. So.. what are some of the applications that you learned or came up with for the moves?

8)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
These could be some seriously lengthy replies. Here's one for the first movements: Turn, left forward stance, left gedan barai, step into right forward stance right middle punch. (Simple one) The turn and gedan barai is a redirect of a low punching attack or grab attempt. The redirect is grabbed and pulled toward the hip and an elbow lock is applied (gedan barai). From here you can do a step and break or a step - turn - throw.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

1) Left hand nagashi uke, right hand gedan zuki to bladder (Chamber for Gedan Barai).

Step into opponent's hip, breaking balance with left leg, tettsui uchi to groin or kidney, depending on whterh you stepped into or past the opponent (The gedan barai in zenkutsu dachi).

2) grab belt (or groin! :) ) of opponent with left hand, push on sternum with fist, step in between leg, place gently on ground. (migi oi zuki),

3) Right nagashi uke, step forward with arm bar (turn, migi gedan barai).

4) Release right wrist from wrist lock through thumb joint, tettsui uchi to face.

or

scooping block to kick, throw (mawashi tettsui uchi).

5) oi zuki.

Just some food for thought about the first five techniques. ;)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

equaninimus,

I follow you okay until the push. Are you stepping across your left foot with your right foot in order to step into migi zenkutsu dachi between the feet of the opponent? After that I follow the rest too. I have to also say that you are trying my Japanese. *L* I haven't used it for so long that I'm a bit rusty. All of our classes are taught in English since we have no Asian instructors that come to visit regularly.

Yup. All of the combinations listed follow the exterior form (kata) of Shotokan's Heian Shodan. For the push, you are merely stepping forward into the first punch of the kata. Think of the crescent step as a way to move your right hip into the oponent's left thigh. The nagashi uke (sweeping blocks) are the chamber positions for gedan barai (low block). In addition, the techniques listed are not sequential. I repeat, you are not facing multiple attackers. Each technique is a specific, complete application.

Fireka, Tekki is an entirely diferent series of Kata.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Here's something I came up with (with the 'traditional' application in square brackets to make it easier to keep track of the position):

1. Hidari gedan barai / nagashi uke - gedan tsuki - gedan tetsui / whatever [hidari gedan barai]

2. Left hand grabs opponent's right wrist, step forward to grab opponent's retreating lapel [oi zuki]

3. Throw to the right and down, maybe smashing opponent's chest or face on right knee [migi gedan barai]

4. Still holding on with the left hand, right hand strikes tetsui to the opponent's head/neck/collarbone/right elbow [tetsui uchi]

Possible fifth move: right hand brings opponent's weakened right elbow to the hip, left hand wrenches opponent's right wrist in the opposite direction to hyperextend the elbow [oi zuki] - I don't know whether this would actually work.

Thank you equaninimus. I worked your technique the day after you posted it. I thought the crescent step may have been the key but wasn't entirely sure. Also, on your strike to the bladder, when you strike is it a full out strike with the fingers to CV 4 or do you get there as fast as you can and press with a sort of jolting motion? Small details I know, but I'm just curious how techniques differ from artist to artist and style to style.

Best thing is to look at Heian Shodan Bunkai Oyo and get some examples of the application.

You should try to simulate the moves of Heian Shodan but perfrom them only in a straight line - forwards and backwards and remove the duplicated age-uke and oi-tsuki movement; doing each of these only once.

The gedan-barai which is done at the end of the age-uke (Kiai) would be a 360-degree turn with the action going backwards but the block being done in the forwards direction; if you see what I mean?

Also the right tetsui-like, hammer attack after the the second gedan-barai should always be looked on as a block and not an attack. Works much better that way.

Good stuff.

:)