• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

:: Show your style of MA ::

i noticed the hip thing too. another thing you may want to try is to stick your hand out straight in front of you, and kick through it when you're doing those first 2 kicks. that way, you're sure youur kick is going through and you'll gain more flexibility in the hips. but i agree with sasori te, those are awfully advanced techniques for a beginner.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm 21 and I study Shaolin Kung Fu for 3 months now. And it is my first MA that I take. And as far as beeing athletic goes, I don't know ... I just started stretsing 2 months ago ... That's it, I didn't follow any other sport prior to that, I only played volleyball for 4 years, just for fun.

I don't know if these are advanced thechniques cause I'm just a beginner :-) but what I do know that these are a few of the exercises we have to be able to preform if we want our first belt, white.

My Sifu's name is Walter Toch and he studied Kung Fu in China with the shaolin monks. He obtained as first Westerner a graduate of the famous Shaolin Temple in China.

this is our website: https://www.shaolin.be

And about the hips, can you explane this a little more..?

thx again for the comments.

Greetzz ChenZy

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be

i'm in the same class as draven is, but i only started this month with kung fu. I think draven's more an exception because most peole i've seen there and who have been training there longer then him can't make the last kick from hawk (and neither can i :bawling: )

it all depends on how much you train in your free time i guess and how devoted you are.

My point is you need a better base to have the balance and timing to perform these techniques effectively.

What I meant by your hips telegraphing your intentions is this. Look at your video carefully. You'll notice that before you execute your kicking techniques your hips twitch away from the technique. Your body uses this motion to power your techniques because you don't know how to generate power properly yet. Don't feel bad. Lots of folks do this. An experience martial artist can spot these little slips and the upcoming technique a mile away. Ask your instructor to observe this and he should be able to tell you more.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Hmm, so I have to power up with my hips if I understand correctly. So it's like a punch, when you give a punch it is not only your fist that is in motion but also your hips, and that gives it strength.

Correct?

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be

The telegraphing he is referring to is similar to the tendency for inexperienced fighters to pull their arm back before striking. You need to learn to generate the energy from zero point. Try to think of yourself, and all your body parts, as being on the edge of a cliff. Forward and toward the target is the only option. Hope that helps.

Another thing to consider is to visualize 'impact.' Mentioned earlier was the idea of posting your hand out there to remind yourself of the point of impact. This is important, because the motion of the leg is irrelevant, if the power generated is distributed throughout the entire circular pattern of these strikes. Your target is at one 'point' in the line of travel, so you need to generate the power to focus (centralize) at that 'point' and release after.

And, be careful about the application of the crescent kicks there. If you decide to practice by impacting a stationary object, start with a light and moveable stationary object and then move to more sturdy targets. I noticed a slight hyper-extension in your leg, which... upon impact, could cause injury to you rather than your opponent. By initially working on light stationary objects, you'll get the opportunity to 'recognize' those subtle flaws, correct them, and therein prevent serious injury to yourself.

Otherwise, looks good. Anymore have clips of their techniques to share and discuss?

hehe, this thread has turned into a critiquing seminar. :)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

i'm a complete beginner at this so i could be very wrong, but a while ago i saw a yellow belt preform the hawk and if i remember correctly: he did it the same way as draven only after the second kick he kept turning his body (to his left) until his legs were crossed then he turned back in the other direction and did the last kick.

It's like you wind up an elastic band and then let it shoot back if you know what i mean, i think you get more speed out of the move that way. Anyway i rememberd it because it looked strange to me.

Could this be the solution?

Hmm... not seeing it, i couldn't say. But... it sounds more like the yellow belt has picked up a nasty habit.

A common misconception is to think of the human body, or of muscles, as rubber bands. Using the biceps/triceps as examples, one contracts while the other relaxes. When a muscle contracts, it pulls at whatever it is attached to, such as the bones in the forearm. When a muscle relaxes, it does not 'bounce back,' it merely relaxes, thus releasing the bone it is attached to. Granted, there's also gravity... but again, not analogous to a rubber band.

The common misconception of 'winding up' or 'pulling back' to generate force is great for us, because it lets us know what the inexperienced person is about to do.

Now, distance traveled 'can' help in allowing you to accelerate up to a higher velocity... but that's about it. The more distance traveled, the more time... and the more distance. The more time, the larger the opportunity for the opposition to react. The more distance, the more 'space' between zero point and impact point, and the larger the possibility of the path between those two points being disrupted (block, parry, refrigerator door, etc).

I'm tempted to start talk about circular vs linear, as this 'touches' upon that topic, but maybe in another thread.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

long story short, it's not any more effective, and crossing your legs is a good way to get pushed over, so it's generally not advised.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Who's sAtelitte is that your second username?? just curious, Oh, your last kick need to improve a bit.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro