• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know this may seem odd, but is there anything you can do to train on your own in Brazilian Ju Jitsu. I want to practice everything as much as possible, and I do not always have a partner to work with. So is there any technique, or sensitivity drills that I can work on.

I'm so used to being able to train on my own from Karate and Muay Thai, and it's just strange not being able to practice BJJ at home.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You could buy a dummy.

Two dummies

http://www.bubbadummy.com/index.htm

http://www.gomass.com/imass/simulaids.html

They cost around 500 bucks. I've also looked around department stores for dummies but most don't fully articulate in the joints. We also have throwing dummies at the wrestling club but those are fairly expensive and I am tempted to try making my own.

From practicing with a throwing dummy for newaza it is good for practicing holds, practicing transitions, and doesn't complain when you choke it or bend it's arms in funny ways. All in all i find it helps a little but nothing beats the real thing.

For throwing you can put your belt or jacket around a tree, pole even wavemaster and practice the pulls, footwork (ichikomi). Kimura was reported to practice his osotogari against trees. I've read that his osoto was so powerful it was not unusual for people to recieve concussions. Once again though nothing beats the real thing.

Keep in mind I use these when getting a partner is impractical. For instance I'll be pretty fed up with studying late at night and will take an hour of fustration out doing ichikomi. Otherwise I'll just call up ppl and see if they want to randori for a while. Some people randori with their dogs. Sibblings do in a pinch too although i'd be hesistant to try anything on a spouse or significant other.

Ukemi you can practice by yourself.

I don't think you'll get much out of it. I'm sure there are things you can do solo (practice falls, rolls, upa drills, etc) but as far as techniques, actual hands on is the only way to learn and practice. You could get a dummy and practice passively, but it's hard to really apply things to something that offers no resistance or counters you. Especially with jiujitsu...but there's nothing wrong with running techniques through your head and MENTALLY preparing.

Mixed Martial Artist

you get plenty out of it. the idea rb posted about tying your belt around a pole is excellent. I do that myself. I don't reccomend a belt though - usine something that will offer some resistance, like thick surgical tubing (which is what I use). This training server the same purpose as uchi komi and is invaluable as I do 300 reps a night with the tubes - I don't have many training partners that will let me do 300 uchi komi a night on them without getting bored to death.

also, work your form - shrimping up and down the floor, armbar from mount, shooting, etc. are some drills you can do solo to help perfect your movement.

As I have just started I don't know all the terms yet hehe. Is there a site somewhere with a glossary? Osotogari? Uchi Komi?

Thx for all the help.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

o = major

soto = outer

gari = reap

o soto gari = major outer reap.

uchi komi = fit in. These are judo terms - you likely won't hear most of them in your bjj class, but you will see some of the techniques regardless. For example, ude garami in judo is an americana/kimura in bjj. sankaku jime in judo is a triangle choke in bjj. juji gatame in judo is a straight arm bar in bjj...

to check out some judo techniques and tems, go to https://www.judoinfo.com and look around.

• 1 month later...

IM MAKING MY OWN DUMMY! because they're so expensive, so i bought some padding and some pvc(plastic) pipes and some ducttape, there are instructions all over the net. This is what i chose to do to train my jiujitsu skills

a little boxing, a little wrestling, a little muay thai, and a lot of jiujitsu( brazilian)

• 2 weeks later...
I love how there's a Japanese, American, and Portugese name for so many moves. Makes communication a lot of fun.

AK rules! :D It's sort of like 'English as a Second Language' class while you get the terminology down, but a lot easier than learning 3 terms for everything, in three different languages. Someone once asked my Logic proffessor why we had to learn the names of logical fallacies in Latin. He replied "Because one of the things we teach you here is to become an arrogant (donkey), and the best way to do that is to make you learn Latin!" Sometimes, I think the martial arts takes the same philosophy. :P

Seriously, this thread is interesting to me since a.) our grappling guru left, and b.) I'm making use of my downtime to bother people here and make training equipment. Right now, I'm making another stand up dummy. But I'm thinking about making a grappling dummy out of some coveralls and carpet strips/rolls. I was thinking about some static training with ground moves (better than nothing, till I get a live partner that will work grappling a little). But this idea of resistance bands and training for throws intrigues me. I could make the dummy to strap to posts with heavy bunjees, or to free hang from a gantry or even a truss.

Any suggestions on making the dummy, mounting it, what to work with it and how to work it, or anything else, would be greatly appreciated.

Freedom isn't free!