• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Breaking injuries

Just curious as to how many people out there have injured themselves during breaks. What was the injury and how severe was it?

About 12-13 years ago, when I was young and stupid, I tried breaking five 2-inch patio blocks. I broke four and my wrist as well. There is a nice lump still on my right wrist where it didn't heal properly.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i have had a successful breaking history for several years now....can't even remember how long,....but the worst i have ever done was bruise the skin and bust some blood vessels ....nothing severe ....nothing bad at all actually.....just good luck so far....luck, skill or combination, which ever you prefer

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Probably some of all three. I think the important thing is don't do a break until you know for sure you are ready for it. Doing a break because you saw someone on TV or in a movie do it is a recipe for disaster.

very good advise.

If you ever have a doubt that you will not break the object, then you wont, or you won't break it nicely, you have to know that you are going to and be very confident, there is a lot of mental aspects to breaking.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

No injuries while I was breaking but the day I took my 1st dan test I had to hold 6 boards for my master to break with a sidekick during a demo. The first time he kicked it the wood didn't break-the first time I'd ever seen that happen to him- but my hand almost did. :o He nailed it on the second attempt and drilled me and the other holder to boot. My hand was black by this point but fortunately I was able to use an elbow strike for my required hand break during the test. No serious injury-just a lot of swelling and bruising.

You held six boards with your hands??? Please dont do that again! I cant see how can have any controlled grip on 6 boards (supossing they were 1" each) unless your hands are abnormally sized!

Breaking machine...board holder...please, not your hands!

As far as myself, I have had no more than swelling and bruising! Last time I broke, I broke 2 boards (industrial grade yellow pine 1 x 12 x 12) I did not hit square with my knuckles but got to much of my middle knuckle! The boards broke and I will from now on take my time with the wicked yellow breaking material! Also, my father was breaking 2" patio blocks with his head...break went fine, but upon impact he raised his head and the outer edges of the block caught him in the forehead...caused some bleeding, but nothing serious!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

You held six boards with your hands??? Please dont do that again! I cant see how can have any controlled grip on 6 boards (supossing they were 1" each) unless your hands are abnormally sized!

Breaking machine...board holder...please, not your hands!

Spookey

Heh, heh. Yeah it was me and the other big doofus at testing that got drafted for that particular break. We've never used apparatus for breaking.

A number of years ago at a test, one of our black belts was trying to break 6 boards with a sliding side kick. He was unable to do it. So our Organization head pointed at another of our black belts and asked him if he could do it. What was the guy going to say? No? He must have tried 10 times. So you have these guys holding 6 boards with another black belt trying to break them. Which means they have to stand there and absorb enough energy to break 6 boards up their arms. He finally succeeded, but their arms were solid black and blue up the forearms from the repeated impact.