• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many hours in the dojo per week is a good number?

And for all of you who have a partner/parent/friend who complains that you spend too much time at the dojo then here's a great quote that I read today in Martial Arts Illustrated magazine.

In an interview with Tom Mayes (MMA champion) he said:

"I have a good saying framed on my wall, though, 'Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated.' I stand by that"

I thought that was a great saying.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi you are like me, I go to my dojo on tuesdays and saturdays once a month I do three (san) lessons but normally I do two (Ni) I trained at home too, if i had time its half term in england so am practising on my saifa, 2 lessons is good enough trust me, and traind at home is even better so I practice almost everywhere toilet, sofas, go shopping, etc I'd just want to be a great master someday thats my dream, but I'll say traind atleast 2 hours at dojo and atleast two hours at home.

I traind 3 hours at dojo and traind 7-12 hours at home.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

So actually I trained 8-10 lessons a month.

Sorry for posting too much sorry.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

LOL, my karate sensei actually tells us to practise on the toilet!! He says that while were there we might as well be practicing blocks and stuff. Hmm, I ^think^ he was joking...

Actually, I do actually practice in the bathroom sometimes. I stand in kibadatchi (horse riding stance) when brushing my teeth. There's a little corridor between my bathroom and the rest of the upstairs rooms in my house, so I often practice mae-geri (front snap kick) along there. My house mate thinks I'm utterly daft, but, hey, I KNOW I'm off my trolley but at least I'm doing a bit of practice!! :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

And for all of you who have a partner/parent/friend who complains that you spend too much time at the dojo then here's a great quote that I read today in Martial Arts Illustrated magazine.

In an interview with Tom Mayes (MMA champion) he said:

"I have a good saying framed on my wall, though, 'Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated.' I stand by that"

I thought that was a great saying.

Great quote! Who's it (originally) from?

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

That is very funny doing kaibadachi while brushing your teeth?

Do you guys know about toilet katas if not I'll explain, but it is mostly use for basic katas suchs as taikyoku know as kihon.

Everyone has different ideas about what they want from martial arts, and different demands on their time - so everyone is likely to have a different answer.

When I was at University, I trained 12 hours a week - three 2 hour sessions in the Karate club, three 1 hour sessions in the gym, an hour of running or swimming, and a couple of hours privately working on techniques and combos.

These days, I have much less free time ... my week is:

one 90 minute session at the Ju Jitsu club

one 60 minute session teaching Kickboxing (but I don't get much of a work out!)

one 60 minute session with weights

Three 20 minute sessions with the heavy bag + stretching + technique work

This is as much as I have time for - I would like to be doing more, but can't. (Though my Ju Jitsu club only runs the one session a week anyway).

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.