• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your dojo utilize kata to extrapolate techniques?

Sasori_Te

Does your dojo utilize kata to extrapolate techniques? If so, what does your instructor look for when examining kata for techniques? I found an excellent article written by Jim Logue from the RyuTe and Oyata Shin Shu Ho lineage. You can find it here: http://www.kushu.com/technique.htm Edited by Sasori_Te

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
So, do you guys know how your instructor examines and breaks down the kata to get at the techniques? How do you work the techniques. Do you go from the base and break every piece down from proper footwork up to choosing targets and proper angles of attack? This is very similar to how I analyze kata movements. Without a good base you have nothing to build on. It just occurred to me that I don't know how other styles and/ or other instructors do this. I'm curious.

My instructor goes on long walks with his dog (he must have the fittest dog in the whole county!) to think about kata and application. Even though he's been training in martial arts for over 30 years he still likes to look at the base structures of every kata and to try and and consider new bunkai and refine old stuff that he's already taught and developed. Then he tries it all out on his unsuspecting dan grades... :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The link did not work for me, We work KATA from what the instructor has as well as taking each movement and appling variuos attacks to it refineing foootwork , postion angle of attack Some work some do not. Always there is alot learned in how to apply the art not just execute basics.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

This actually brings another question to mind. How many of you have asked your instructors how they analyze the kata to determine different techniques that can be utilized? Also, do you think your instructor would be receptive to such a question? Just a conversation topic that I'm curious about. Thank you guys for your answers.

The oyo in goju is based on centerline theory, trapping hands and in close fighting. The highest level application is based on pressure points from the bubshi. My Sensei loves questions especially ones he doesn't know the answers to.......

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro