• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thoughts on Breaking objects?

Mink

I would consider a break legitimate if the materials were able to be examined and the breaking method strictly utilized the practitioners skills as opposed to using #2 pine with the grain, scoring the boards, allowing ice to melt and weaken under it's own weight, using un-baked clay tiles and bricks....etc .....etc. Can you tell I'm a bit jaded due to the large amount of fraudulent crap that I've seen over the last 14 years? Now to be fair to you breaking afficianados out there, I have seen some breaks on video that I can't explain away as easily. However, since I wasn't physically present I can't say whether it was some sort of gimmick or not. Oh yeah and tom, I have run a mile (it seemed like it anyway) with bullets whizzing by my head, in combat boots. I'm not sure if it was under 4 minutes or not but it wasn't for lack of effort. To be honest it was more like an eighth of a mile but it seemed longer. :)

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about a baseball bat break with a round house kick using the shin.

is that legit. for a break.

Yes some people choose to if i may cheat eg. i dont know about a piece of 4x2 plank being broken upon you, thats not going to be broken by someone hittig it on you :o

But there are some whom train and do fantastic breaks such as the Baseball bat. the ones that do hard breaks dont come out of it with out brusing and swelling.

those who do breaks that are hard and make it look like a piece of Pi-ss, and look as though it was nothing and have know swelling. i think that is a little hard to believe :-?

This topic has really taken off. :)

https://www.Kyokushinaustralia.com

Dont be Bias in styles for we are all Practitioners of Martial Arts!

Why does it matter what i consider to be legitimate? I was simply stating my opinion on the subject. I have done breaks before. I don't like them because I don't personally believe they serve a purpose in the art that I practice. I can accomplish conditioning through makiwara training and bone to bone contact. I also happen to think that breaking gives false confidence to the practitioners, especially young practitioners. These are my reasons and mine alone. I don't expect everyone to agree.

quote: was simply stating my opinion on the subject.

In no way did I mean to offend, Just stating that some do real breaks. I agree that some are compleatly fake "set up"

the only reason i asked was because you stated that

quote: using #2 pine with the grain, scoring the boards, allowing ice to melt and weaken under it's own weight, using un-baked clay tiles and bricks....etc .....etc.

you cant asume that all Martial artist do this. that is my point.

https://www.Kyokushinaustralia.com

Dont be Bias in styles for we are all Practitioners of Martial Arts!

It's nothing, I didn't get offended. If you re-read my posts you'll find that I say there are breaks that I can't explain away so easily. However I wasn't present at these breaks. Therefore some breaking appears to be real technique. From there, see my most recent post before this one for the rest of my feelings concerning breaking.