Mink

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a bone has more stress put on it, it will become harder. It's for this reason that women (especially) are encouraged by doctors to exercise more when they are young.

Exercise will strengthen bones, which will offset osteoporosis, an ailment that commonly affects older women.

You are confusing two things here. With exercise your bones might get a better structure, but when you put more stress on it, your bones will get weaker. It's the same when you would keep on hammering on a wooden board. It will get weaker and weaker.

I'm not confusing anything. I went to school for this kind of stuff, and needed to know everything there is to know about the skeletal system.

You can make your bones harder.

Krunchyfrogg is correct. You can make your bones harder. Stress on your bones can encourage your body to increase them in structure, to compensate to the battering that they're taking.

Did that make sense?? Ah, it's late and I've had waaaaay too many bottles of beer tonight!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Perhaps you should heed your own advice?? Especially when using words like "you" and "completely useless" in responding to my post - which most certainly has the insulting tone that "I" don't have a clue what I'm talking about here.

Secondly, as a matter of fact, and if you read the post a little better, I stated "Karate-ka (or equivelent MA)" when referring to whom has this ability. Wouldn't you think that an "equivelent MA" (MA = Martial Artist) would also include other practioners other than just Karate-ka??

Last, I'm curious if you have actually tried this to determine if this training concept is truly as simple as you think it is? I know that the board thing is not much of an achievement - speaking from personal experience of playing around with the concept with my brother (whom takes arts that break boards). Take board in one hand, punch with the other hand, and wa-la, two board pieces are left - not much effort exerted either. I just don't get it...

- Killer Miller -

Your response would only show your shallowness to the concept. I suggest this for more reasons that what you see in writing here. And yes, it's more difficult than breaking boards. Although, board breaking, IMHO, does not have a lot of value. However, both activities require speed and Kime. If you're developed in these areas, then no need to do either. If you're not, the paper concept is definately more beneficial than breaking boards...

- Killer -

Instead of breaking boards/things, I prefer other more difficult things to do for development.

Try this:

1. Get a piece of thread/string and tie it to a cloths pin.

2. Hang this from the ceiling or doorway with a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper clipped in the cloths pin.

3. Using good speed and kime, reverse punch style, poke a hole through the paper with your index finger - going straigt in that is.

Sound easy? To a good Karate-ka (or equivelent MA) using good speed and Kime - no problem. The rest of you, probably never... You can do this, you can most certainly break any board or bone with no problem...

- Killer Miller -

Not only is that skill completely useless compared to other training devices(bags etc.), but I find it odd that you imply that only a good karate-ka will be able to do it. I'm sure that anyone can do it given a month or so to practice it.

P.S. - Did traditional karateka of old break boards? Just wondering...

Insults? I'm not even going to sink to that level. I don't come to this board to have people tell me how shallow my knowledge is. Also, I said

"Not only is that skill completely useless compared to other training devices(bags etc.), but I find it odd that you imply that only a good karate-ka will be able to do it. I'm sure that anyone can do it given a month or so to practice it. "

but your reply doesn't seem to have much to do with what you are replying to.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Perhaps you should heed your own advice?? Especially when using words like "you" and "completely useless" in responding to my post - which most certainly has the insulting tone that "I" don't have a clue what I'm talking about here.

Secondly, as a matter of fact, and if you read the post a little better, I stated "Karate-ka (or equivelent MA)" when referring to whom has this ability. Wouldn't you think that an "equivelent MA" (MA = Martial Artist) would also include other practioners other than just Karate-ka??

Last, I'm curious if you have actually tried this to determine if this training concept is truly as simple as you think it is? I know that the board thing is not much of an achievement - speaking from personal experience of playing around with the concept with my brother (whom takes arts that break boards). Take board in one hand, punch with the other hand, and wa-la, two board pieces are left - not much effort exerted either. I just don't get it...

- Killer Miller -

Your response would only show your shallowness to the concept. I suggest this for more reasons that what you see in writing here. And yes, it's more difficult than breaking boards. Although, board breaking, IMHO, does not have a lot of value. However, both activities require speed and Kime. If you're developed in these areas, then no need to do either. If you're not, the paper concept is definately more beneficial than breaking boards...

- Killer -

Instead of breaking boards/things, I prefer other more difficult things to do for development.

Try this:

1. Get a piece of thread/string and tie it to a cloths pin.

2. Hang this from the ceiling or doorway with a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper clipped in the cloths pin.

3. Using good speed and kime, reverse punch style, poke a hole through the paper with your index finger - going straigt in that is.

Sound easy? To a good Karate-ka (or equivelent MA) using good speed and Kime - no problem. The rest of you, probably never... You can do this, you can most certainly break any board or bone with no problem...

- Killer Miller -

Not only is that skill completely useless compared to other training devices(bags etc.), but I find it odd that you imply that only a good karate-ka will be able to do it. I'm sure that anyone can do it given a month or so to practice it.

P.S. - Did traditional karateka of old break boards? Just wondering...

Insults? I'm not even going to sink to that level. I don't come to this board to have people tell me how shallow my knowledge is. Also, I said

"Not only is that skill completely useless compared to other training devices(bags etc.), but I find it odd that you imply that only a good karate-ka will be able to do it. I'm sure that anyone can do it given a month or so to practice it. "

but your reply doesn't seem to have much to do with what you are replying to.

I said the skill was useless, not you. And when I said "you", I was clearly ( if you read the context) referring to your implication, not calling you odd. Even if I did insult you which I didn't, it doesn't give you any reason to retaliate with insults of your own. About the second part (about the part with and equivalent MA), well I obviously missed it. No, I haven't tried it and I don't think that I have to punch a piece of paper to know that there are more effective means to gain skill.

Please keep things friendly folks. There are those who break and love it and those who do not break and see no value the practice whatsoever. This is just an area where the two extreme views will never meet on.

Then why let the topic go on for 5 pages?

Seriously guys, why can't you actually take part in a DISCUSSION and maybe say....

"I have done breaking, but I don't care for it personally. But lots of people do it, and seem to get something out of it. What could I be missing?"

OR

"We do a lot of breaking in my school, but a lot of people don't seem to do it. What do they do that is different? Maybe I could try it and see what I think."

No, instead we've got people who are just firmly entrenched with the heads, at best, in the sand (on a more liberal board, I'd have no problem suggesting a different location) as to how some other schools or styles, GOD FORBID, do something different that your school, your sensei, etc.

No one likes to be told what they are doing is stupid, irrelevant, a waste of time. If that's all you have to add to a conversation, you're clearly not here to discuss. You just want to puff up your chest and show how friggin superior YOUR WAY is.

Get over yourselves.

Did anyone here actually TRY the suspended paper drill? I did, and it was quite interesting.

Ok. Go back to calling each other idiots now. Maybe next we could discuss some other meaningless topic "where the two extreme views will never meet."

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Um, that's completely wrong... Just because someone doesn't like breaking doesn't mean they are not good at it. Maybe they got good at it and discovered it wasn't helpful?

Wow. I guess you didn't get the joke. That's ok.. I'll be less subtle next time :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Healed fractures do gain strength at the site of the fracture. However, this strength does not lend similar strength to the entire segement of bone. In addition, though repeatred trauma to a bone may lead to increased bone mass, it can also lead to calcification in joints, and to dmage to connective tissues. I have always seen more drawbacks than advantages to breaking.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Um, that's completely wrong... Just because someone doesn't like breaking doesn't mean they are not good at it. Maybe they got good at it and discovered it wasn't helpful?

Wow. I guess you didn't get the joke. That's ok.. I'll be less subtle next time :)

Good one! *sarcasm* :)

So far, I've read very few thoughts on breaking, but I have heard a lot of people re-hash a lot of cliches and propaganda.

It's like that "martial arts doublespeak" email

"I don't like Breaking/Boards don't hit back." = "I'm not very good at breaking."

"Breaking is great and is the end all of training." = "I have a lot of mass and can't do forms very well."

Why don't you share your thoughts on breaking, instead re-hashing more cliches.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan