• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thoughts on Breaking objects?

Mink

Your response would only show your shallowness to the concept. I suggest this for more reasons that what you see in writing here. And yes, it's more difficult than breaking boards. Although, board breaking, IMHO, does not have a lot of value. However, both activities require speed and Kime. If you're developed in these areas, then no need to do either. If you're not, the paper concept is definately more beneficial than breaking boards...

- Killer -

Instead of breaking boards/things, I prefer other more difficult things to do for development.

Try this:

1. Get a piece of thread/string and tie it to a cloths pin.

2. Hang this from the ceiling or doorway with a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper clipped in the cloths pin.

3. Using good speed and kime, reverse punch style, poke a hole through the paper with your index finger - going straigt in that is.

Sound easy? To a good Karate-ka (or equivelent MA) using good speed and Kime - no problem. The rest of you, probably never... You can do this, you can most certainly break any board or bone with no problem...

- Killer Miller -

Not only is that skill completely useless compared to other training devices(bags etc.), but I find it odd that you imply that only a good karate-ka will be able to do it. I'm sure that anyone can do it given a month or so to practice it.

P.S. - Did traditional karateka of old break boards? Just wondering...

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing a lot of shotokan karate students on here saying they break boards as part of your training. My shotokan dojo doesn't break boards. Do most shotokan dojo break boards?

Neither my dojo or my organisation practice breaking (we are all shotokan style). However, my karate instructor has been part of breaking demo's in the past, even though he doesn't really agree with it (he ws pressured into it by one of his instructors).

I'm still a bit undecided with the whole breaking issue. I can see that is is a useful training aid, however, the whole "boards don't hit back" stance has a point too. If you're gonna follow the "boards don't hit back" line to its logical conclusion, though, then why do we use kick/punch bags?? They don't hit back either!! lol I know a TKD sensei and he trains his students in breaking - but they actually use solid objects, rather than those re-breakable boards. Breaking is only taught to high grade students too, which I think is a good thing.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The 'boards don't hit back' argument is r*tarded (wtf?? this forum censors the word 'r*tarded'!! :kaioken: ). As aefibird said, neither do bags. And neither does the atmosphere, so why don't people stop practicing basics all together and just do constant sparring.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

When a bone has more stress put on it, it will become harder. It's for this reason that women (especially) are encouraged by doctors to exercise more when they are young.

Exercise will strengthen bones, which will offset osteoporosis, an ailment that commonly affects older women.

You are confusing two things here. With exercise your bones might get a better structure, but when you put more stress on it, your bones will get weaker. It's the same when you would keep on hammering on a wooden board. It will get weaker and weaker.

René

The 'boards don't hit back' argument is r*tarded (wtf?? this forum censors the word 'r*tarded'!! :kaioken: ). As aefibird said, neither do bags. And neither does the atmosphere, so why don't people stop practicing basics all together and just do constant sparring.

Perhaps they should. Or, at the very least, stop spending time and money on wood from Home Depot and instead face off against one another and actually train for a fight instead of a demonstration.

Bag work, at the very least, allows a good workout that a) doesn't make a mess, b) simulates the weight and feel of hitting a body, and c) doesn't inaccurately inflate the ego of those training.

Yes, they are good reasons for using bags. Everyone knows bags are good because pro fighters use them. I use a bag too, its good training. Bags don't hit back, but are still good training, therefore the 'boards (or bags) don't hit back' argument is stupid.

Bag work, BTW, is potentially just as ego-inflating as breaking.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

Your response would only show your shallowness to the concept. I suggest this for more reasons that what you see in writing here. And yes, it's more difficult than breaking boards. Although, board breaking, IMHO, does not have a lot of value. However, both activities require speed and Kime. If you're developed in these areas, then no need to do either. If you're not, the paper concept is definately more beneficial than breaking boards...

- Killer -

Instead of breaking boards/things, I prefer other more difficult things to do for development.

Try this:

1. Get a piece of thread/string and tie it to a cloths pin.

2. Hang this from the ceiling or doorway with a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper clipped in the cloths pin.

3. Using good speed and kime, reverse punch style, poke a hole through the paper with your index finger - going straigt in that is.

Sound easy? To a good Karate-ka (or equivelent MA) using good speed and Kime - no problem. The rest of you, probably never... You can do this, you can most certainly break any board or bone with no problem...

- Killer Miller -

Not only is that skill completely useless compared to other training devices(bags etc.), but I find it odd that you imply that only a good karate-ka will be able to do it. I'm sure that anyone can do it given a month or so to practice it.

P.S. - Did traditional karateka of old break boards? Just wondering...

Insults? I'm not even going to sink to that level. I don't come to this board to have people tell me how shallow my knowledge is. Also, I said

"Not only is that skill completely useless compared to other training devices(bags etc.), but I find it odd that you imply that only a good karate-ka will be able to do it. I'm sure that anyone can do it given a month or so to practice it. "

but your reply doesn't seem to have much to do with what you are replying to.

When a bone has more stress put on it, it will become harder. It's for this reason that women (especially) are encouraged by doctors to exercise more when they are young.

Exercise will strengthen bones, which will offset osteoporosis, an ailment that commonly affects older women.

You are confusing two things here. With exercise your bones might get a better structure, but when you put more stress on it, your bones will get weaker. It's the same when you would keep on hammering on a wooden board. It will get weaker and weaker.

I'm not confusing anything. I went to school for this kind of stuff, and needed to know everything there is to know about the skeletal system.

You can make your bones harder.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

So far, I've read very few thoughts on breaking, but I have heard a lot of people re-hash a lot of cliches and propaganda.

It's like that "martial arts doublespeak" email

"I don't like Breaking/Boards don't hit back." = "I'm not very good at breaking."

"Breaking is great and is the end all of training." = "I have a lot of mass and can't do forms very well."

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.