• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thoughts on Breaking objects?

Mink

Anyone can break a block of wood or a breeze block, woopty doo, good for, no offence i find that break these inanimate objects is lame, at the end of the day, if u can break sumthing that has no intent on hurting u, ur pathetic, it shows 0 skill, the use of a move on sumone who is intent on harming u, then u show sum sort of skill if ur able to deal with the situation by breaking bones with a single hit, how ever by breaking a piece of wood or a breeze block holds no great completion in my book, but hey sum of u might not agree

Yours In Budo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone can break a block of wood or a breeze block,

err, no. Most people can't. If anyone could break things, no one would bother with it in MA. Anyway, what about 5 breeze blocks? or 10?

woopty doo, good for, no offence i find that break these inanimate objects is lame, at the end of the day, if u can break sumthing that has no intent on hurting u, ur pathetic, it shows 0 skill,

Neither does a bag have any intent of hurting 'u', but all the best boxers train with bags. It takes more skill to break than to just hit a bag. A weak person can learn to break by using skill.

the use of a move on sumone who is intent on harming u, then u show sum sort of skill if ur able to deal with the situation by breaking bones with a single hit

What about breaking armor? Or breaking a table or chair someone is using as a shield? Or snapping a baseball bat with a block? Perhaps you can break someone's nose or jaw with a punch, but can you shatter their skull?

You may not find breaking beneficial, but some people do. Show some respect to them.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

Perhaps you can break someone's nose or jaw with a punch, but can you shatter their skull?

For heaven's sake, why you want to do that?

You may not find breaking beneficial, but some people do. Show some respect to them.

I don't think someone with a shattered skull will find breaking beneficial!! I also don't think it will be very beneficial to you..... spending the rest of your life in prison!

René

Instead of breaking boards/things, I prefer other more difficult things to do for development.

Try this:

1. Get a piece of thread/string and tie it to a cloths pin.

2. Hang this from the ceiling or doorway with a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper clipped in the cloths pin.

3. Using good speed and kime, reverse punch style, poke a hole through the paper with your index finger - going straigt in that is.

Sound easy? To a good Karate-ka (or equivelent MA) using good speed and Kime - no problem. The rest of you, probably never... You can do this, you can most certainly break any board or bone with no problem...

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Perhaps you can break someone's nose or jaw with a punch, but can you shatter their skull?

For heaven's sake, why you want to do that?

To kill them. That's what karate was created for - to kill people quickly with the empty hand. You may not want to kill someone in a fight these days, but if you want to train in traditional karate, being able to kill someone quickly with your bare hands is a vital skill.

I don't think someone with a shattered skull will find breaking beneficial!! I also don't think it will be very beneficial to you..... spending the rest of your life in prison!

Killing someone in a fight doesn't automatically land you in jail. You might be able to easily justify your actions in some situations. For example; someone attacks you with a knife or gun, you punch them and shatter their skull and they die. A single punch is quite legitemate self defense if you're being attacked with a lethal weapon, its just that single punch happened to shatter their skull. Too bad for them.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

I wouldn't go 'hunting' myself. I probably don't have the strength to shatter someone's skull with a single punch myself, I was talking about the uses of breaking as MA practice.

I also practice kendo. If I went out with a sword and cut someone's head off in a fight, I'd be in deep s***, but that doesn't mean that training with a sword in kendo is pointless or 'lame' practice.

Likewise, if I went out and shattered someone's skull in a fight, I may get in trouble, but that doesn't mean that breaking is an pointless form of training.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

Now Now please show some respect to others opinions! :karate:

anyway.

where we train when i first started i was about eight years old . we use to light a candle and punch it to try and blow it out. this is a good test for speed for a adult and kids whom want to learn .

But we did get Some Kids whom whould blow it out as they punch so they were the quickest. :D

https://www.Kyokushinaustralia.com

Dont be Bias in styles for we are all Practitioners of Martial Arts!

im completley indifferent to breaking, we rarely break in our club, maybe for demos or as a bit of fun at the end of the year before christmas break (no pun intended)and its fairly enjoyable......but i found tal's remark quite amazing, loads of people have knocked breaking in this thread, but hes right you're never gonna attack sumone with a sword (unless its an extremely rare occaision, sumones trying to kill you, family get together etc) yet loads of people practise iaido and kendo completley legitimately without anyone knocking it, granted it obviously promotes speed, balance, concentration (as do all martial arts) etc, but why learn a sword martial art when it can never really be used in reality? instead of studying an empty hand MA which is probably more beneficial for self defense. i mean dont get me wrong, i do kobudo and i like weapons martial arts, and if i could afford kendo id take it up in a heartbeat, but tal does raise an interesting point about breaking not being inproper practise. (imho the jury is still out for me on the benefit of breaking, but he does make a good point) :karate:

Kicking to the head is like punching to the toes