• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Non white uniforms

i disagree. when an entire school where's something non white, it dosen't set anyone apart. and i prefer black over white not because it's "cool" or whatever, but because it can take more of a beating before it gets so dirty i have to wash it. i'm not a big laundry man :(

except on the red-white-blue thing. yeah, that is really tacky.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know...

Personally, I like to be able to point to the various blood stains and discolorations and say "I got this one sparring so-and-so and broke his nose" or " I got this one free fighting outside and was swept onto the grass". Those are real free fighting trophies :D

My opinion-Welcome to it.

I am a little upset that my post was deleted. I didn't use any language that wasn't already in the thread ( and is still in the thread). I hope my post wasn't deleted for personal reasons.

At the risk of upsetting people, here it is again

Please if you're going to delete this at least tell me the exact words that are offensive so I can post better in the future Thanks.

Did you check your PMs for an explanation?

I didn't move them, so I can't say exactly what you had in the first round, but you should see that two other posts were removed as well. An "*" is automatically inserted when someone violates the profanity filter. If you actually typed a "*", then your post was thought to have included profanity as the other two truely did. At which time, the post will be immediately removed, and a PM warning sent.

A similar action will occur if someone attempts to work around the filter with $pecial ch@racters.

Rather than asking this type of question in a thread, next time send a PM to either Patrick or one of the Sensei.

8)

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

we wear white uniforms until we reach the rank of purple belt, aned then you move on to a black one. it is considered and honor to get the black uniform. Now that i am a black belt, i have 1 white one and one balck one. i do not agree with the people who have pink or blue etc. uniforms, but some variation is okay. also, our 4-8 year old class wears the "Lil' Dragon" uniforms from Cerntury. i think that what you wear should not determine how others see you. :) Edited by mskickerusa

I think if you absolutely HAVE to wear to a non-white uniform, it should be after black belt. After Dan level, you have a little more leeway in how you present yourself. There are exceptions to this. I know black belts who are told in no uncertain terms how they may conduct themselves and proper dress. Before black belt, when you are still 100% responsible to your instructor, I don't think there should be a choice in what you wear. You wear what your Instructor tells you. Kinda like school. Before the age of 16, you go to school, and sometimes wear a school uniform whether you want to or not. Choice does not enter the equation. If you are a color belt and decide to wear a different uniform on your own, this means your choice and decision outweighs your Instructor. As a traditionalist, I would find this unacceptable. After Dan level, I would present options of acceptable dress. In our organization, after BB, if you wanted to wear a traditional uniform you could, or a WTF-sanctioned pull-over. Non-white does not enter into the equation.

I don't think that it really makes any difference on which color your uniform is, as long as it follows the guidelines that are commonly accepted by your style or martial art.

I am personally glad that KSW uses black uniforms, because if we used white ones, I would probably be buying a new uniform every month due to my body chemistry. My white belt after a period of two months at that rank is totally discolored by my "toxic" (heehee) sweat.

And I should make a comment on the KSW bashing from earlier in the thread, but I think it is in my best interest in letting it slide save this little thought: There are many martial arts out there, and just because the one I choose to study is something different from the one you did, doesn't make mine any less of a martial art than yours. I don't know why you chose to bash KSW and some other martial arts like you did, but I hope that you would actually make a statement like that based on some first hand experience of the martial art you are refering to, not just your opinion.

That being said, I am keeping my peace on this thread from here on out.

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)

I didn't bash KSW. I said that I didn't care about KSW, Hapkido, and the others, because I meant this as a thread about non-white uniforms in Tae Kwon Do. I don't care what the others wear. It wasn't meant to be anti-other styles, it was just focusing on Tae Kwon Do. I realize that KSW and HapKiDo wear different uniforms.

I have been studying KSW for about a year now and before that I studied TSD SBD for 11 years. I am glad KSW uses black uniforms. A black uniform lends itself to outdoor practice and getting scrubbed across the floor by your instructor and fellow students more than a white uniform.

:)

Speaking for myself, there is something refreshing and natural about practicing outdoors in a clean white uniform. I realize black hides dirt better, but to me white seems more natural for outdoors practice and bonding with nature. I just couldn't see myself doing that in a black uniform. Maybe a sky blue uniform... :brow:

• 2 weeks later...