• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Non white uniforms

First , CCDI, how does my website show disrespect on the part of myself or my students. If we're just talking about white uniforms, if anything it shows that I practice what I preach. I don't understand how it shows disrespect from myself or my students.

As far as Ernie Reyes and others like him, in my not so humble opinion :D they have taken Tae Kwon Do and turned it into the martial arts equivalent of a carnival side show. What should be a great method of self defense, exercise, and physical-mental-spiritual improvement has become simply a demonstration of flash and Hollywood-style special effects. I consider them comparable to televangelists. They take what could be something great and cheapen it. I am not saying they are evil people. Perhaps their technique is also pretty good. That's beside the point. A prostitute may also be pretty good in bed. But in the process it just becomes an act with no real substance.

Finally, I do not consider Kuk Sool Won or Tukong Moo Sool (?) martial arts. They are fighting styles. I don't care about KSW or TKMS. As such, they can wear what they want. And Kumdo is modeled after kendo anyway. :-?

P.S. I wear a hat only in the winter to cover my head. I have no idea what size.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Akima,

I am not angry...but if I come across that way then I apologize! However, I am a very serious and straight forward individual and can be taken the wrong way.

Regarding the current conversation, I believe that several people are prostituting the art of TKD. I also believe that just because you make money doing something does not make you a prostitute!

Some individuals teach valuable material and teach that material well (ma or other) and receive a high revenue in the process. However, if they are not selling an inferior product then I believe that to some extent they deserve reimbursement for their time!

MTKD,

Do you charge for classes? Do you sell equipment? Do you charge for testings? if so why?

Odds are you answered yes to the following questions and are justified in so doing because your time is of value. I am however at a loss as to why you view this as prostitution when someone does this extremely well!

I would agree with you on the "prostitution" verdict if these individuals were to not be productive in the level of students (and instructors) they were producing!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

Spookey,

Yes I do charge money to teach and for gear. However, many if not most Instructors do. That is not the problem. The problem is when money becomes the reason why you do anything. I don't believe Tae Kwon Do should become a commodity to be marketed and made money off of. Gen. Choi had many students, but to my knowledge he never turned it into a commodity. He made sure it retained the character that made it great. I don't believe he ever wore a red or black uniform either.

Who would have thought that such a simple topic could turn so ugly... Tone it down a bit before big brother/sister steps in and cans it.

The path of martial arts takes us on a long journey towards selflessness-an overcoming of our own egos that turns our attention from pride and focuses it on humility. Until we reach that point in our training our perspectives are varied and sometimes our "self" gets in the way. With that being said, it is really pointless to worry about what someone else thinks about our race, style, or color of uniform because it is our personal journey that shapes us not someone elses's. What counts is the opinion we have of ourself. Just keep in mind that they are in a different place on the path, some ahead of us and some far behind.

8)

Where do you get these gems from ninjanuse, great insite.

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Nobody said they couldn't wear a non-white uniform. I just don't agree with them doing it. As far as Hee Il Cho wearing one, I respect the man's ability and what he has done for Tae Kwon Do. I just don't agree with his choice on this matter and don't understand why he feels he needs to or what is accomplished.

Please remember that this forum had a strict no profanity policy. If you make posts that come out with words shown as * your post will be removed. Like three of the posts in this thread were just removed.

So watch your language everyone. Don't call someone a name that will catch the censor use your head and find a more professional way to express your sentiments without profanity.

Who would have thought that such a simple topic could turn so ugly... Tone it down a bit before big brother/sister steps in and cans it.
The path of martial arts takes us on a long journey towards selflessness-an overcoming of our own egos that turns our attention from pride and focuses it on humility. Until we reach that point in our training our perspectives are varied and sometimes our "self" gets in the way. With that being said, it is really pointless to worry about what someone else thinks about our race, style, or color of uniform because it is our personal journey that shapes us not someone elses's. What counts is the opinion we have of ourself. Just keep in mind that they are in a different place on the path, some ahead of us and some far behind.

8)

Where do you get these gems from ninjanuse, great insite.

I pick them up along the path :wink: .

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

MTKD, I am sorry that you feel so strongly that the color of a uniform reflects on a persons ability to practice the traditional martial arts. I feel that people need to be assessed on ability, not the color of their uniform. Even arguing this point is ridiculous. Its like cutting down someone for wearing black jeans instead of blue jeans, because blue is "traditional". Another thing, I thank God everyday for the country I live in and the freedom to express my opinion, whether it be about many people, or about one. I also thank God for the knowledge to know when not to be disrespectful and rude to others, because that would go against the tenents of my traditional Taekwondo training.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

People can wear whatever color jeans they want to, because the color of jeans and jeans themselves do not represent anything other than comfortable denim. White uniforms in Tae Kwon Do represent purity of mind and action, according to Buddhist thought-although if someone knows differently please let me know. As such, it is my firm belief that although there is nothing to prevent you from wearing colored uniforms to practice or teach TKD, you cannot call yourself a traditional Tae Kwon Do person if you do. Maybe American Tae Kwon Do, whatever that is.

I don't consider Hee Il Cho a traditional Tae Kwon Doist because he has changed things as he has seen fit and decided to do things his own way. While that is his personal decision, he cannot call himself a traditional Tae Kwon Do Instructor.

well i shall make sure to call myself something other than a traditional taekwondoist.....i will be ....the taekwondoist that doesnt care about the color of his gi school.....yep i think that has a good ring to it......

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger