Non white uniforms

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add my thoughts here. traditional TKD..well I live in Korea and have trained (and continue to train) in TKD.

Traditional uniforms....just so you know MANY children here do not wear a uniform. They may have one but they just go in plain clothes with a belt tied around their waist. (the belts are not tied the same either)

Your opinions on traditons are based on Western settings. Players here (what many call themselves) don't give a rat's a$$. I have trained in my business clothes with a banker in his.

Why? Students spend 8-16 hours a day in school and at extra study (hogwan - academy); most do not go home between classes so they have no uniform to put on.

Get over this nonsense what REAL tkd is with regards to colors....my master has brown trim on his uniform, and most people just wear the t-shirt with thir pants if they have decided to wear a 'uniform' at all.

If you want to follow the Kukiwon (the head guys blocked a vote there with hired thugs...nice group to imitate!)

Then fine...but so you are aware its a crock of manune that a white uniform is ultra Korean traditional.

You want real life traditional based on the Korean training methods...go plain clothes.

Koreauechi,

I tend to agree, who cares what you wear as long as you have quality training.

Personal choice I guess.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Plain clothes are fine if you just want self practice.

I'll tell you something. I'll be the first to admit-95% of Tae Kwon Do, whether in Korea or America, is amateur sandlot junk. Just recreation for people to do. So, yeah, I guess to them traditional uniforms would not be important. Plainclothes are good enough. No problem.

However, I prefer the 5% that is professional, because that's how I was raised-Community College level vs. Harvard University. And for those people, my Instructor included, traditional white uniforms are the order of the day. I guess if your involvement in Tae Kwon Do, whether Korea or America, is at the amateur sandlot level, then you're right-who cares about traditional uniforms, just practice in your streetclothes. I get the impression that the ones who feel that uniform color doesn't matter and you can wear what you want are limited by their involvement in the sandlot version of Tae Kwon Do.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

I really shouldn't bite at this troll but I gotta.

Being professional or looking the part....does one kick better with a uniform on? Does one strike or show a form better if the uniform is on?

I didn't think uniforms came with moves installed. I thought they were learned.

The sandlot? Without giving in I'll bite my tounge, my domestic and international Martial resume must be playground issue....

95% sandlot junk in Korea..have you been here? That's one heck of a number to throw out for a ratio.

Koreans are extremely nationalistic as they still have memories of foreign occupation. People take MA very seriously here. (As they claim the TKD is so old)

Again you mention traditional white uniforms..traditional for whom and for what year?

I am all for the discussion of the value and importance of uniforms...lets not get personal with this 'sandlot' routine and stay away from 'amateur' comments shall we?

Don't shoot the Messenger.

Big deal! You think I don't realize how many people in Korea practice Tae kwon Do? How many people in the United States play baseball or soccer or basketball? Now how many consider it more than just recreation? The fact that most everybody in Korea does Tae Kwon Do doesn't mean they're any good at it, or any higher than the amateur sandlot level. Just like basketball or soccer over here. And don't kid yourself. Just like America, Korea has tons of McDojangs taught by native Instructors with questionable credibility, no respect for tradition, and selling their integrity for money. We just have a hard time believing it because we think it couldn't happen in the birthplace of Tae Kwon Do. Well guess what-it does. And you know who told us this? My Korean-born Instructor. He told us that 95% of Tae Kwon Do in Korea is junk. Because I also used to think that Korean-based Tae Kwon Do HAD to be good because it was in Korea. Not only that, but a good friend of mine who taught/teaches English in Korea used to give me horror stories of lame Tae Kwon Do schools he visited over there.

Just to add fuel to the fire here is what General Choi has written with regard to our practice sute (Do Bok)

"... We assign names to people and objects in order to distinguish between different individuals, between objects with different properties etc. We know immediately that "Kim Sun Dal" is not the same person as "Timothy Smith", that "flora" is distinct from "fauna", that "rock" and a "pillow" do not have identical characteristics.

The naming of names is a classification process by which we impose order on the universe. In the absence of names, the world would be chaotic and progress would be impossible.

Our do boks serve a similar purpose. They reveal our occupation and our rank, identifying us as persons engaged in a certain kind of activity. Social order would be difficult to maintain without systemized forms of clothing.

Because of names, football can be clearly distinguished from baseball, Taekwon-Do from Judo. Similarly, their respective uniforms allow us to distinguish a judge from a criminal, a general from a private soldier.

When we wear a uniform, we accept a certain role in society and we are obliged to behave accordingly.

Our martial art was given the name "Taekwon-Do" to distinguish its technique, philosophical system, spiritual foundation and rules of competition from other Oriental martial arts.

We have a uniform unique to Taekwon-Do for the same reason.

The International Taekwon-Do Federation introduced this do bok in 1982.

It is the product of many years of research and development. This new do bok retains the aspects of the traditional do bok while representing a new age in terms of design.

It eliminates many of the inconveniences associated with other martial arts uniforms. It will not, for instance, become undone during practice or tournament.

It has also put an end to the dishonest practice of relying on starched material to create an artificial sound. The do bok is considered a primary necessity in both training and tournament for the following reasons:

The wearing of the do bok should instill pride in the student as a practitioner of Taekwon-Do.

It identifies the degree of skill and cultural education in Taekwon-Do that the individual has attained.

The style of the do bok is symbolic of Taekwon-Do heritage and tradition.

Grade and degree changes indicated by belt color create incentive while simultaneously preserving humility.

The do bok is extremely practical and healthy.

The official do bok distinguishes orthodox Taekwon-Do from its imitators.

The do bok consists of a shirt, pants and belt made of synthetic material, detron mixed with cotton.

This material is a vast improvement over standard cotton in that it is more durable and flexible.

The shirt and pants must be white in color to symbolize the traditional color of the Korean costume. Superfluous frills, piping, lettering and designs are not permissible.

It is very important for the student to keep his do bok clean at all times, wear it correctly and treat it with the respect he owes to his art.

Black piping around the edge of the shirt is worn only by the black belt holder.

The piping is three centimeters in width and is symbolic of the royal family and members of aristocratic houses during the Koguryo, Baekje, and Silla Dynasties.

An international instructor is distinguished by black stripes three centimeters wide on both sides of the shirt and pants. ..."

So is my art better than your art because of our traditional (1982) uniform (the one without the V neck) ... I think not.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Nice to hear a slightly different viewpoint. I will always respect a white uniform, whether it is WTF V-neck or ITF white w/black piping on the sides. White is white regardless of organization. Whether WTF or ITF, white still represents the purity of thought and action and traditional dress.

I can usually count of John G. for a civilized opinion :D

Such a trivial issue for a martial art forum. I'm sorry I weighed in on the topic.

Just so you know the uniform I wear is white with black trim, a host of Korean patches on it and the school name (ETS Younh-ah TKD) in Korean on the back.

My forms and attitude would be the same if it was paisley; focused.

Edited by koreauechi

On the flip side, black might be warmer in winter since it does absorb light and heat better. So there is a tradeoff.

Unless you live in the NE, where no amount of black will absorb enough to keep you warm in the winter. :lol:

And please keep these comments civil and to the point. Of all the issues in the world today, a person's opinion (whichever side) of dobak color is reason to get angry.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.