• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the worst traits in a sparring partner you faced?

I would like to apologize for my part in getting this thread off topic. I hate sparring partners that think sparring is a chance for them to show their latest television move. I was sparring with a Hapkido shodan that came to visit our class one day. I was trying to show him a technique that we were working on and he jumped up with this Jean Claude spinning hook and slapped me in the face with it. I informed him that he shouldn't try doing that again. He did and I dumped him on his head. Sparring should be a chance for you AND your partner to try out techniques that you are trying to become better at. I'm of course talking about class time sparring and not tournament sparring.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's okay these days but in one class I used to get partnered with someone who would insist on correcting me all the time. Unfortunately they weren't very good themselves and none of their suggestions were very helpful or even correct. It drove me mad, I just felt like 'shut up will you, if we are doing something wrong sensei will tell us'

Undoubtedly, for me, the worst sparring partner has to be the ego. Whether it is my own or that of somebody else, I hate having to fight pride in the do-jang.

We've all been there. We've all mastered a technique, or achieved an amazing stretch, and won the accolade of all the other students. Then, a stranger walks into the class with a greater mastery of technique and an even better stretch. We then spend the rest of that lesson, and indeed many more, tackling our pride in acknowledging that there is somebody better than you at the thing you love most in life.

And we've all been there, at least once, when the ego of another comes into play. For me, it was when a student from a different school of Taekwon-do training (I am ITF, he was WTF) joined our club. He was bigger, a lot bigger, than any member of the do-jang. His technique was crude, yet very effective. He used his size and power to destroy any confidence in whoever had the balls to step up to him. He would use amazing spinning kicks, with full power, as well as his very good boxing skills to put anybody on their *. He was even a challenge for our instructor. One of his opponent's suffered a broken rib, another a broken foot, and another a broken nose. And this was just in the first lesson.

It was his ego, his enthusiasm to show off and be the "alpha male" that wouldn't allow him to control his techniques. He took the sparring totally out of context. It was supposed to be fun; he made it hell. It is the ability to subdue our egos and control our pride that makes us true martial artists 8)

You more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the battlefield...

Know-it-alls are bad too!

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

I don't like being partnered with anyone (not just sparring) who don't try hard. There are some people I end up pairing up with, that I just don't understand why they are even in martial arts because they don't give it 100%. Heck they don't even give it 20% it seems sometimes.

would you all consider "stink" a trait?

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

The most annoying sparing partner is the guy with little or no control. By this I mean, when it comes time to spar people get hurt because of poor technic and the amount of contact made. I realise that not all clubs train the same and contact is different amoung clubs. Getting clocked full force in the nose or jaw is no good for anyone in training.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

I have this one fellow student who always calls the wrong target when we are doing one step (Ippon) kumite. They'll call "Chudan", and then punch for "Jodan".

Now, I was o.k. with it at first.. mistakes happen. However, it has appeared to have developed as a habit. Each time, they say "I'm sorry.. I meant Jodan".. Um hum... It doesn't make a difference to me, my block was still there.. but inside me... there's this frustration :kaioken: of "There are only 3 target levels for Pete's sake, it doesn't take an Einstein to say the proper target when you punch.."

My spirit is never daunted by training, but sometimes my body begs to differ.

What about those who have no will or drive to get better...they always complain.."I cant do it". YES you can....if you PRACTICE FOR ONCE!!!!

The worst partners .... uhmmmm

- the "i'm afraid you'll hit me" type. I won't use harder contact unless the desire is mutual. If you don't feel "mean" today, OK. Never use hard contact on the beginners. It scares them if it hurts.

- wild control guys/girls. Those who hit like h..l and can't control their technique.

- the know it all

- the "macho" type.