• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the worst traits in a sparring partner you faced?

The worst by far are the people who want to hit you but when you hit them it hurts. When I spar I like contact. Im not talking full force but I like to know when I get hit. LOL. At the same time I like to know that I could have hit someone if I had to. No place for sissy's lol. I can't stand cry babies. Get Tuff or Get out. LOL.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL!!! :P

I see you guys have trained with a few of the same guys I do. One guy was a little.....dense??? he would just keep comming at you like a mack truck with no control and full power all the time. He also had incredible targeting skills....but only below the belt!!! :o He was also slightly cross eyed and would look at me funny and he moved, very unortodox. Whenever you would tell him to take it easy it just didn't register. After you would nail him hard enough a few times it would finally star to sink in.

What a nightmare!!!! :roll:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

We have this one gentleman at my club that is a completely immune to getting scored on in point sparring, he argues and groans and man it is so annoying we just let him win so we don't have to hear it

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

In my brief time sparring in Hapkido, I had to put up with things like an amateur boxer that would hit hard and take cheap shots when losing. (Cheap shots like punching me hard when I'm avoiding falling onto children behind me.) I don't like tap sparring, but if that's what you're going to do then don't tap for a while then drive one home. I started whacking underneath his forearms until they got sore when he wouldn't stop.

More than once I had to deal with someone who hurt themself being stupid, which in turn made me look overly aggressive and bad. One guy tried a stupid fancy move and ended up with my elbow in his eye socket. Another kid got so nervous fighting me that he high kicked above my head and fell on his butt. Everyone looked at me like I had just unleashed dim mak on him.

Needless to say, after several bad sparring experiences, I left this school. When I played by the rules and won, everyone got ugly and jealous.

Know thyself.

I hate the why do we have to this ... I need to work on my kata. There are a few I have never seen sweat in drills , kata , sparring. I avoid them during sparring. I guess I am a banger since we turn up the contact at times when agreded on by both sides of the match.

AMP- do you train in Taika Oyatas linage. He has great knowledge.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

If he peactices RyuTe then it has to be Taika Oyata's stuff. RyuTe is a trade mark. I have to agree also that I hate the people that act as if they may break if they get hit.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

well there a guy in my dojo who seems to have no srenght at all i throw one punch and he gose flying even if were tranig he can hold up a pad and take one punch befor his pad flys across the room :-?. i may not have the worlds beat control of how hard i punch but it dosent happen to anyonr elae whem i hit the :kaioken:

we do not fear death,

for we are death inccarenated!

may the inner fire never die for it is that can help you ceep going

I hate partners who are trying to make a point of conquering all who come before them. Those people who just want to hit something really, really hard. They don't use proper karate styles and don't try to incorporate the lesson of the class/day into their sparring.

The freeky sparrers are also soooo weird, you know the ones, with the funny stances like a twisted pretzel.

I like to see people that are eager to get out there and mix it up regardless of rank. I will spar anyone and for that some think I'm crazy. I always say what's the worst that can happen? Gee, I might learn something. People that hang back and "forget" their gear get lame after a while. You only get better by challenging and pushing yourself.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

AMP- do you train in Taika Oyatas linage. He has great knowledge.

Yes, I do. My teacher is a 6th degree black belt who trains directly under Oyata in his Shin Shu Ho system. I am currently putting all my focus into his system because it's extremely complicated and it's good.

Know thyself.