• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are the worst traits in a sparring partner you faced?

i dont like sparring against beginners its so difficult but interesting at the same time their control is out the window,... kick are low,... timing awkward and you are a pratt if you hit them back (you just cant win)lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres no one style just your style---------

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally started going back to karate and there is a new guy....hes same level as me just I have more experiance and he's pretty good but his fall back is is that he expects to be able to do kicks perfectly the first time. I was trying to show him how to do good spinning heal kicks and cresent kicks because im known for my kicks and he kept saying I cant do it. "Practice my son"

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

well, we have one kid that smells really bad and is incredibly wimpy. he TALKS constantly... if you even make the tiniest, softest bit of contact, he'll go on and on about it. he's incredibly difficult to work with because he won't stop talking, and it's like he doesn't hear you at all when you say, "hey. enough. we need to focus here." he just TALKS - it's clearly a way for him to avoid doing anything that intimidates him. he stalls.

i also have trouble with this one guy who just does NOT understand control. when you ask him to tone it down, he nods and agrees to do so, but then he hits just as hard! he makes harder contact than anyone in the dojo, and then i've heard him complain that the higher ranking students are really hard on him when they spar. well, it's because they're trying to teach him a lesson! but it just makes him that much more aggressive. he's a nice guy and has pretty good technique, but he doesn't understand that you don't have to hit someone with ALL of your strength when you spar. and i'm a very small girl, and he's a very large guy - even though my technique is superior, when i do take a hit from him, i go flying across the room because i'm half his weight. he needs to relax...

i also have trouble with this one guy who just does NOT understand control. when you ask him to tone it down, he nods and agrees to do so, but then he hits just as hard! he makes harder contact than anyone in the dojo, and then i've heard him complain that the higher ranking students are really hard on him when they spar. well, it's because they're trying to teach him a lesson! but it just makes him that much more aggressive. he's a nice guy and has pretty good technique, but he doesn't understand that you don't have to hit someone with ALL of your strength when you spar. and i'm a very small girl, and he's a very large guy - even though my technique is superior, when i do take a hit from him, i go flying across the room because i'm half his weight. he needs to relax...

Every time he tries to blast you drop an elbow.... until he learns control!!!

I'll bet you will only need to do it a couple of times then I garauntee it will sink in.... :brow: :brow: :brow:

Some people are just naturally a little dense and dont realize without proper physical stimulation. :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I would have to say it's the, "I'll get you next time" sparring partner that I think is most annoying. Now, I've had friendly competitions with friends at my dojo, we keep a mock tally on matches, but it's all in good fun. What I don't like is when I spar the one who makes it into a testosterone contest.

Sunrunner

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

the sparring partners who go slow and think that i am a softie. actually there is only one guy who does that :P but he is really friendly thats why i dont say anything

Be everything. Be nothing.

I hate the sparring partners who are so stiff and jerky that they cannot control the contact. Every hit has to be a knock out. My rule is I go as hard as you go (for my belt level - under belts I go easy).

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

I realized a NEW annoying sparring partner that I can't believe that I've haven't mentioned yet. :o

She is of the same rank as I (5th kyu).. She insists that one cannot use an outside block in one step kumite against chudan. I nearly pop my eyeballs at some of her words. In fact, as I remembered this past year.. she's been correcting everyone since she's been a white belt. Almost half of her corrections are incorrect. I think that I'll nickname her the "instant Sensei".. one class under her belt and she knows ALL.

My spirit is never daunted by training, but sometimes my body begs to differ.

haha, that sounds quite annoying

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"