• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt and Kyu grade list your name style and Rank!

Mink

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESA-shotokan, I'm just being nosey here, but why are you taking 2 Shotokan shodan tests with 2 different organisations? Not that there's anything wrong with either the KUGB or the ESA, I was just curious as to why you are training and grading with both.

On a sperate note, are you going to the KUGB summer camp up in the Lake District? If so, see you there!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hi there aefibird. Good and valid question. The training with the KUGB and ESA is just so different. Yes both are Shotokan and both use the same Japanese names to describe their movements but that is more or less where the comparison ends.

The KUGB training tends to dwell more on "scoring a point" and offensive strategies whereas the ESA concentrate most on defence and using much stronger techniques.

When I am blocked by a senior ESA dan, I know about it for a long time and the style is very physical and yet, a lot of the time is spent understaning how the application works and how the body makes this or that technique work.

On the other hand, the KUGB training is based more on stamina with drill exercises up and down the dojo. In effect I feel that the ESA karate is karate budo for adults and KUGB karate is more intensive exercise.

Don't get me wrong, I love both styles but I could never wear a black belt I had earned from the KUGB in an ESA class and wear it as an ESA shodan. It might sound daft but it is true. It just so happens I put off the shodan grading since 1986!! I want to complete the circle with the KUGB and while I will still enjoy training there, my utmost intention will be to try to improve my karate with what the ESA can teach me.

All a bit deep; I know.

:)

Hi there.

I train with the ESA on a Monday, KUGB on a Tuesday and then alternate the Thursday, as both train on that day. At the present though, Thursday's are with the KUGB as I am taking that grading next month, hence ensuring I get the time in with the respective dojo and sensei.

Fun!

:)

Name: Paul (aka Tall Paul)

Sandan in Shorinryu since 1990.

Sandan (honorary) in TKD since 1985.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"