• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Tournaments are they fair!?

Mink

what is with the Oyama type people.

You are part of the Oyama lineage, I meant nothing disrespectful, although I really do wonder why those who practice the Oyama styles who post on this board are so defensive.

This is my personal opinion this has little to do with the style that i participate in. at no point if a human life would be in danger would i do anything. and yes i have been attacked and placed in hospital after an attack in which my head got in the way of a baseball bat. there are times which you can defend yourself and times that you cant.

through my opinion (not Mas Oyama) it is benificial.

The advantage of Karate trainig is knowing when and when not to fight. i too have been attacked by a drunk wielding a bat. I won. I was lucky.

Oyama People!?!?

So why the descrimination against Kyokushin we are all martial artists I have no problems with anyother style or be disrespect them in anyway

but then people like you go and say

please continue with Kata tournament thread

Like I said, I didn't mean any disrespect. You went ballistic over a comment about the unreality of tournament sparring. I apologize if I have offended you. It is obviously a subject that you have much emotional investment in . I'm not overly fond of tournaments in general. I think they lead toward one becoming more concerned with winning than with practicing. I also think they tend to make one confrontational. I may be wrong. I'm a grad student. I wake up each morning knowing I'm wrong, and have to wait until my first seminar to find out what I am wrong about! ;)

We do kumite with a fairly high level of contact in the dojo, as well as kotekite exercises, so I understand that getting hit the first few times can be frightening for the average person. I also understand that for some people this level of contact is a validation of their manliness, or a way to push away their insecurity. Me, I think it hurts! :D I value blocking/avoiding, and therefore not getting hit! Have a good night.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

katas, rythem, speed, concertration, momentum, area, position, kime, proper techniques, attitude.

By no means am i baging this comment just wanted to add how do the judges know what the proper technique is some styles pull there had back under there arm pit some let it hang to at hip level how do you know what is correct and incorrect.

https://www.Kyokushinaustralia.com

Dont be Bias in styles for we are all Practitioners of Martial Arts!

I think it's hard to judge a kata that one doesn't understand. Hence, a black belt in style A may have no understanding of what's in the kata in style B, thus they can't really pick it apart for mistakes like their own style. Likewise, there are several kata that are not very long but are very hard to do right. These might be mistaken as being more simple because they are not as long as a kata that is really long, yet easy.

I think that multiple style kata competitions are usually not fair because of different emphasis and purpose in various styles.

Know thyself.

Please keep adding your thoughts ....To add to the Question Name the most important parts of a kata. that could be marked throught all style.

Concentration! has to be a key for all.

try and think if it could be judged through all styles .!

https://www.Kyokushinaustralia.com

Dont be Bias in styles for we are all Practitioners of Martial Arts!

I will follow Amp's line of thought a little further. I have never seen any competition that wasn't a closed competition that was fair for kata or sparring. There just aren't any hard fast rules for judging at open competitions. The judge's meetings that I've been to consisted of going over what point scale was being used for that particular tournament. I don't recall once ever hearing how I should award those points other than to use my best judgement. This is only one of the reasons that I don't do tournaments any more.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Well, at least if a judge has done several different styles then they will have a slightly better understanding of the kata form other styles.

However, what if a competitior does a kata from style X, but the judge has trained in style Y and Z? Also, what if the judge has a personal bias against style X? Certain people seem to dislike other styles (for whatever reason) and even if they try hard to judge fairly, bias will still creep in.

Unless kata tournaments are kept for one style only (no open tournaments) then I think that Kata competitions will never be fair.

Hey, that's just how life is!! :D

Hmm, and even if tournaments are only from a single style you get a lot of variation within that style.

When I was first learning Jion, I got 3 different pieces of advice from 3 different Shotokan karateka on how to do a particular technique. That advice was all from people within the FSK (my org). Just imagine how much contradictory advice I would have got if I'd asked another Shotokaner from outside the FSK!! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Tournament sparing and kumite will ALWAYS be bias (regardless if it's open or one style). It's just human nature and sometimes bad Judging.

I've seen a judge watching a hot girl walk by when he should be watching a fight, and then the center judge called a point and he just througha flag up...