• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Tournaments are they fair!?

Mink

I think the question to ask is:

Do they matter?

I think personally that kata "Performance"

divisions should be wiped out and replaced

with Kata Bunkai and interpretation divisions.

if people can get rid of all the crappy kata tournaments

and replace it by demonstrating they understand the

self defense applications of the kata, that would be

much more meaningfull than either a traditional stance,

or some strange gymnasitic aeiral triple kick thing.

my .02 cents.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but the one problem is that those types of competitions wouldn't be as much fun to judge, watch or even participate in. The reason for this is that so many people really don't know their katas in depth or have any real interest in the sort of dedication it requires to learn these things.

Look at the clip entitled "Jion Bunkai" from the site I linked the clips above from. Or any of the other "bunkai" clips. Flash and trash, of the block punch kick variety. I doubt many sport types are that interested in tuite and tegumi.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Thats pretty much why I stopped competing and judging. I don't see kata or kumite competition as haeving anything to do with Karate. I used to, and I was a "tournament rat" in the 1980s, shuffling from Colorado to Utah, to Az, to NM each month for "traditional" tournaments, and participating in open tournaments in the same region. I just don't really see the point (if you will) anymore.

. I don't see kata or kumite competition as haeving anything to do with Karate.

Depending on the reasons you started martial arts for in the case of self defence I belief tournaments can become helpful with getting use to being hit and a rapid speed and also counter attacking the person you are against.

although it is not the real thing in the street getting attacked

but particular Kyokushin tournaments "not sure about other styles" in which they are physical with no padding. as close as you can get to the real street attack.

https://www.Kyokushinaustralia.com

Dont be Bias in styles for we are all Practitioners of Martial Arts!

I don't know of many street atackers who assume a kamae and spar. Most atacks are attacks from behind or with weapons, or at close quarters. The only advantage the Oyama folks have is that they know how it feels to be hit. That is a big thing that many McDojo types know little about.

So contact sparring has no effect what so ever! there is no postives to it. So the people that come face to face and tell you to give them your wallet, wedding ring or even go to abuse you or if you see someone else being attacked.

your saying you would just walk by and not take any notice in particular women whom men are more then likely to walk face to face due to the face they may have a physical advantage over.

Full contact through my knowledge is a learning experience that sould be attempted by all, you gain more knowledge from fighting someone then kicking a bag!!!!!

So contact sparring has no effect what so ever! there is no postives to it. So the people that come face to face and tell you to give them your wallet, wedding ring or even go to abuse you or if you see someone else being attacked.

I've been mugged, have you? It was a surprise every time, either from behind me, or a gang of kids came from around a building and surrounded me, with a gun to the back of my head. I doubt your "full contact look how manly I am" training would have made much of a difference, though it might have gotten you killed. I gave them my wallet. Very little is worth one's life.

your saying you would just walk by and not take any notice in particular women whom men are more then likely to walk face to face due to the face they may have a physical advantage over.

I am unsure what you are tring to say in the above sentence. Would I assist someone in danger? Certainly. I have in the past.

Full contact through my knowledge is a learning experience that sould be attempted by all, you gain more knowledge from fighting someone then kicking a bag!!!!!

I never said that contact sparring was not worthwhile. Last time I checked this thread was about kata. I really don't understand why the Oyama types are so defensive.

what is with the Oyama type people. This is my personal opinion this has little to do with the style that i participate in. at no point if a human life would be in danger would i do anything. and yes i have been attacked and placed in hospital after an attack in which my head got in the way of a baseball bat. there are times which you can defend yourself and times that you cant.

through my opinion (not Mas Oyama) it is benificial.

Oyama People!?!?

So why the descrimination against Kyokushin we are all martial artists I have no problems with anyother style or be disrespect them in anyway

but then people like you go and say

please continue with Kata tournament thread