• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do some call TKD "Take Ones Dough"?

I have seen awsome TKD schools. I have seen total McDojang TKD schools

miguksaram, could you describe these awsome TKD schools a little more? How are they like? How is their overall technique performace? Do they use punches during sparring? Do they allow leg grabs and leg sweeps?

Everybody is critising TKD so that I wonder what a real good TDK school is like.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed...The original question was why do some people call Taekwondo TakeOne'sDough. That has been answered. TKD does not have a monopoly on this. There are many arts who do this, but TKD is just the most popular and henceforth the easiest target. I have spent 19 years in TKD, both traditional and sport. I have seen awsome TKD schools. I have seen total McDojang TKD schools The same goes for Karate or Kung Fu.

Ok, so how do I tell the difference between a McDojo (or dojang) and a good one? I've only known one dojo in my life, and really have no comparison.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

Kyunchyfrogg,

While I cannot claim to speak for everyone, I believe the following might help you differentiate between authentic Dojangs and "McDojangs":

1. Certification of the Instructor. The teacher should be certified through a well established organization (WTF, ITF, Kukkiwon etc.). This makes it easier to verify that he is who he says he is. Furthermore, he should be willing to answer ANY questions you might have. If he seems evasive or unwilling to answer questions, look out.

2. Color belt classes should be open to the public. Black belt classes probably will not be, however. If you want to watch color belt classes to see how they operate, he should have no problem.

3. Traditional schools will place a lot of emphasis on manners and etiquette, bowing, proper addressing of black belts and Instructors, and general conduct. There should be no loud talk, horseplay, or disorganized behavior.

4. Classes should be conducted with utmost concern for safety. Students are there to learn and practice, not beat up on each other. If students are contacting each other hard, or being very aggressive, they probably are being taught that it's okay to hit people.

5. Tae Kwon Do is not about making money. If the Instructor is pushing you to sign up or buy things, go elsewhere. He doesn't care about you, he just sees dollar signs.

I'm sure other people will have other things to say on the subject.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

Kukkiwon certification was probably the last "gold standard" to fall by the wayside, after the JKA and ITF went silly-buggers. Unfortunately, judging by the quality of WTF blackbelts I've seen in the last ten years, that seems to have gone the way of the others. :( thank you "Olympic TKD."

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I have seen awsome TKD schools. I have seen total McDojang TKD schools

miguksaram, could you describe these awsome TKD schools a little more? How are they like? How is their overall technique performace? Do they use punches during sparring? Do they allow leg grabs and leg sweeps?

Everybody is critising TKD so that I wonder what a real good TDK school is like.

The schools I have seen in the past have kept their kwan roots as well as stayed current with modern development. With that in mind they practice that which was known as Korean karate and that which is considered TKD. They practice kicks, punches, some throws and locks. Their sparring would be both Olympic TKD sparring as well as full contact (hands to face) sparring.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

The arts itself is from korean, judo is grapping locks throws, taekwondo is a fast kicking breaking hard materials and fast action, karate is from east china then study by a master then show to ginchen then master ginchen show it to japan and study to today it is know as never lacks power its a wise art.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

• 1 month later...
I hear this in Judo sometimes. Judo is typically quite inexpensive, with no testing fees and tournament fees as low as $10.00. The idea of running a school to make money is often frowned upon.

• 4 months later...
Yeah TKD may be expensive but it all pays of in the end. (my opinion). In my dojang I have to pay 50 bucks each month and I also have to pay the belt change which is about 60 bucks. In my point of view, I think it is too much money, but on the other hand, that money will help me reach my lifetime goals.

TKD RULES!!!

Yellow/Green Belt aka High-Yellow

I am a TDK student we do practice traditional TDK. We do full contact sparring, including leg sweeps, groin kicks/punches and it is ok to hit to the face with the hand or foot. You can only test once in a six month period, and to pass a test you must perform every form you have learned since your white belt.

I know of a few TKD schools that allow no groin contact, no hand techniques to the face and no leg techniques to the body. You can get your black belt in 2 years or less (belt factory). On your belt test you just have to show what is required to get your next belt forget everything else. They also make you sign three year contracts with the school that is damn near impossible to break without leaving the state. This is what gives TKD (and some other styles in my area) a bad name.

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."