• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bowing practices

personally, I think its respectful to look in the eyes when bowing. And its good before a match too. But it might be up to the instructor.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i take this one step further on etiquite please ive travelled to different dojos within my style and while in seiza normally instructors do not bow on sensoneri and bow on taganerei with everyone else although at a very repultable club the instuctor bowed on sensoneri and not on taganerei why would that be when sensoneri is bow to sensei and instructors and taganerei is bow to dojo and all present do i understand this right

PS SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLINGS

theres no one style just your style---------

I understood you wado lee, you are talking about shomen ni rei, sensei ni rei and otaga ni rei. The bow in at a traditional dojo. I always bow at sensei ni rei ( bow to your instructor) when I am instructing a class because while I may be teaching the class my instructors are quite often the students. I always bow during otaga ni rei (bow to a fellow student), because I am student as well as an instructor. I sure different dojo's have different ways of doing things but that is why I do it that way.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

sorry you are correct that is the way we do it in our dojo but i have known other clubs not bow on otaga ni rei but on sensei ni rei even though they have been the senior rank

theres no one style just your style---------

Most Chinese arts/artists don't look down when they bow, though you don't necessarily look the person in the eye. I've always been taught that you bow to an object and salute a person. Both are a sign of respect, not subservience, though teacher, student, and style are servant to each other.

Freedom isn't free!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you all bow when going on and off of the mat in the dojo? we kinda do...i thiink its respectful

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Yes, i always bow before going on or off the mat. A standing bow, directed at the instructor, even if the school i am at doesn't practice bowing or the instructor doesn't acknowledge. It's become a quiet habit of mine, a sort of reminder to maintain respect.

I have noticed a lot of misunderstanding on standing bows. You are not supposed to expose your back, or the back of your head, to the person you are bowing to. Doing so is actually interpreted as an insult.*

Traditional - With those you know, or your superiors, bowing so that the top of your head is seen is acceptable, with your eyes focused around their navel. For those you don't know, a standing bow should be done with your eyes generally focused on their neck or collar.

Modern-day 'hello' and 'goodbye' bows are short and sweet.

* I had one instructor apologize this way, by doing a full-bent standing bow, not realizing he was actually insulting me. It was clear to me he didn't know what he was doing and was sincere in his efforts to apologize for being an * to me during our last session, but i understand this is a good way to get your teeth kicked in.

I anyone would care to correct me, by all means.

Edited by White Warlock

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro