Purple - 7th kyu

Yellow - 6th Kyu

Orange - 5th kyu

Green/white - 4th kyu

Green - 3rd kyu

Brown/white - 2nd kyu

Brown - 1st kyu

Black belts

I think it gives people an incentive to carry on training, especially those who have low self esteem and what it built up. By seeing that they can achieve a coloured belt they have something to aim for everytime there is a grading (every three onths roughly). You still have to be ready for the grading. We have an advanced class for Red and above and one for green/white and above. So you can choose. Learn the basics of karate and self-defence or progress slowly. For those people who have busy lives, to say you are a coloured belt in karate gives you some confidence and hope for the next one.

I am a brown belt and have gone to every grading and passed but have trained hard enough to pass. I don't believe I am ready to go to black belt and am willing to wait or not even get there. I enjoyed getting my belts and felt proud. I can understand many of the negative comments about the belt system. I suppose it can be frustrating for those in karate for the ethos and spirit. It is expensive though....but so are many things in life

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

It is expensive though....but so are many things in life

That reminds me of that quote about nothing in life being certain - except death and taxes!

I suppose that any hobby (and karate is a hobby to most people - we can't afford to do it full time!) works out expensive, but if a person enjoys it enough they'll probably pay anyway.

Just out of interest, monkeymagic, how much do you pay for training, gradings etc?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

can i answer that one im very lucky i dont pay to train or gradings past shodan we are very lucky to have a long standing club of over 30yrs so dan grades who help with instruction go free kyu grades pay £4.00 for there three hour instrustion and juniors £3.00 gradings are £10.00 upto 2nd kyu £20.00 there after

theres no one style just your style---------

Just out of interest, monkeymagic, how much do you pay for training, gradings etc?

I pay £30 a month. I train about 2 or 3 times a week (3-4 hours). I pay £30 per grading, £25 annual membership.

It's just when you add it all up it seems a lot.

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

sorry, can't work out how to do this quote thing

I actually enjoy the belt system, it encourages me to keep at it when i feel discouraged. And about the "you can't tell a white/yellow from a green", in my dojo you can very easily tell the difference, because of how the perform the punches/kicks, and what katas they know. My dojo has this system...

White

Yellow w/ stripe

Yellow

Orange w/ stripe

Orange

Blue w/ stripe

Blue

Green w/ two stripes

Green w/ stripe

Green

Brown w/ two stripes

Brown w/ stripe

Brown

and about ten levels of Black

gotta love the belt system!

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.