• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

coloured belts

aefibird

I'm pretty sure that particular story,aging of the belt until it turns black, is a myth. In Okinawa the early practitioners simply wore there everyday clothes to practice in. This may or may not have included an obi. The obi and gi weren't standard equipment until Jigoro Kano did it in his Judo style. Everyone else picked up on it from him.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our style has White, Yellow, Purple, Green, Brown and Black.

All belts Yellow and above have 2 stripes in between except for Brown that has 2 and 3 stripe.

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

does anyone agree with me when i say its a western mentality to feel they are achieving somthing the more kyu grades there are if so why do we need to feel this or is it down to money for instructors????????

theres no one style just your style---------

Western thought is indeed strange. Marketing folks have figured all of this out and capitalize on it everyday. People in the West feel that if something costs more then it must indeed be better than it's lesser costing competition. If something takes longer to achieve then it must be more valuable than something gotten in a short amount of time. Also, let's not forget our need for that all powerful positive reinforcment. I know thse examples aren't true of everyone in the West, but it is our general mentality. I'm as guilty of it from time to time as the next person.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I dont quite know why my school does this but it goes

White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, purple, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st browns, red, black and so on. I dont know about only white and black. Some kung fu schools might still do that

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Hmm. These are interesting points. However, I have to stand by my opinion. I don't think the belt system is a bad thing. I think the belt system can be abused, but it isn't entirely bad. The belt system can be likened to school. In school, after you have met the time requirements and know the required material then you are promoted to the next grade. This has made teaching vast quantities of information to students much more efficient. Schools can organize the students into groups according to what they've already learned. The belt system is just the same. There is an enormous quantity of information to teach and it makes the task more efficient when you can categorize the students according to what they've already learned. It is the philosophical garbage about belt ceremonies, belts touching the floor, and exhorborent testing fees that destroys the credibility of the system.

your right all money looking at time i read that tatso sazuki (WADO) was graded to 3rd dan after just 3-4yrs can anyone tell me if its true im sure i read it somewhere------------today its so money orientated

theres no one style just your style---------

only if you want to. is it a character flaw to be satisfied with attaining your goal? does it offend you if someone else doesn't enjoy karate as much as you? does it make them weak?