• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

coloured belts

aefibird

we have colored belts for student ranking. thats white, green, blue, red, brown. and black for dan grades. :)

we strike!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have colour belt system white, yellow, orange, green, blue, red, brown, brown, brown, black, the karate style a few streets away have white-brown-black belts.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

My shotokan style has nine coloured belts! White, orange, red, yellow, green, purple, striped purple, brown, striped brown & double striped brown. That's way too many IMO.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

Tal, your Shotokan belt system is the same as in my dojo. I do agree, it is a bit too many. What's with all the stripes, hmm?? I think that nine coloured belts, plus white is a bit of an overkill. it means people can leap up the belt system, but then get frustrated when they get to black and have to wait ages to grade between 1st kyu and 1st Dan,and then find out that it is at least a couple of years between 1st and 2nd Dan. In one way, the high number of coloured belts gives people false hope that it is easy to progress quickly at karate. from being able to (theoretically) grade every 3 months or so, they then have to wait 'ages' to grade for Dans. Plus, lots of colured belts is a little bit McDojo-ish IMO. I'm not knocking any style that has lots of coloured belts, I'm just wondering if there's a need for so many kyu grades and coloured belts.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I've never been a fan of belts or below-black-belt grading systems in general. It seems silly to me to have nine kyu grades covering about the same amount of material as a single dan grade. If dan grades were done like kyu grades, the average sensei would be about 500th dan.

I look at say, the yellow belts and the green belts in my club and there's hardly any difference in skill between them. In fact, there's no noticeable difference, its just the green belts know an extra kata or a different kick or soemthing. If they weren't wearing their belts, you'd group them all together in the same skill level.

You should be able to look at a student say 'he's such and such a grade' based on his skill. If you cannot decide just like that, then you have too many belts.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

Shito-ryu is using this coloured-belts system. I personally don't really like the belt thing, I'd prefer just white and black. The question of belts has always been discussed... I usually think of kung-fu, they don't use belts, so they rather focus on developing your mind and spirit instead of thinking about technique and basics.

Kill is love

Leave the belt system where it's at. If belts are so non-important, then why do you even worry about it? Just forget about them and try not to spoil it for the people who enjoy them.