• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wanting to start kickboxing or muay thai

I really am interested in kickboxing and muay thai. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a good school in oklahoma that teaches either of them? Also, whats a good instruction book I could get to check them out more? Thanks

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mikey burnet....ill look for it...thanks

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

• 4 weeks later...
In general, how can you determine whether a school is good ? I'd like to attend classes that are taught by a competent teacher. Is there anything that indicates whether a school is respectable and serious ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kickboxing is best described as full-contact karate with emphasis on boxing stance, and footwork. Muay Thai is a traditional art of Thailand which has techniques that are banned in most American Kickboxing leagues (knees, and elbows mostly). Muay Thai is famous for it's roundhouse kick which can be thrown like a jab at the lead thigh, or sent to the ribs in a way where the whole hip is rotated into it.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

the thai roundhouse also goes to the head, the calf...

elbows are outlawed in some US thai matches also, although knees are allowed. When I get back from the gym (if work's not too busy) I'll list some differences.

different tactics are involved - you don't see sidekicks, hook kicks, etc. in muay thai matches too often, even though they are in the system.

the roundhouse kicks are performed completely different.

use of leg kicks in MT calls for a slightly different stance - if you keep the weight on the front leg, it will get torn up. the weight is more on the back leg, similar to a cat stance

use of knees and elbows

use of the clinch

you definitely have to duck properly. improper ducking can lead to you getting kneed in the head

those are just some basic differences... there are several more.