• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Ni Sente Nashi

ESA-Shotokan

(In Karate there is no First Strike)

Okay here is my contribution to this phrase which is so evident within our learning of karate-do.

My personal opinion on this has always been, "You should never take the initiative in a confrontation". By this, I am referring to the fact that when an opponent squares up to you, (and I am referring to a non-dojo / competition situation here) they may not actually have any intention than to simply flex their chest and muscles and stare angrily at you with a snotty nose! Once you hit them, things may change somewhat - so why provoke that road?

More important for me is the fact that should you initiate an offensive, your attack may in fact be weak and the resultant strike a confidence booster to your opponent, thus giving them the upper hand, mentally. Further to this, and this does include a dojo / competition scenario, you may show up the fact that you have bad geri techniques by launching with a somewhat weak kick which again, gives your opponent the upper hand. When you start a fight, your best defence/offence is the fact that your opponent does not know your weaknesses or strengths. You want to keep it that way! If you are a "bad kicker" then don't throw kicks but instead, give the impression otherwise. How to do that? By fainting kicks by raising the knee as though to kick and then quickly changing your mind and issuing a punch or similar hand strike. You can then have your opponent waiting for the kick to come and come it will, but in the form of a lower, more powerful kick that is stuck in their stomach.

Hence, in summary, Karate Ni Sente Nashi, for me means, do not hand confidence to your opponent by taking the initiative.

Over to you...

:karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While I do not disagree with both your points, I tend to take a more philosophical approach to this. One should never put themselves in a position to have to fight. Words, gestures, or body language that provoke a negative response from those around us are a "first strike" just as a kick or punch is. It's about how a martial artist carries themselves in the world that makes a difference. This is the hardest lesson to learn.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

ninjanurse, I was thinking somewhat along those lines as I read the original post.

The fight starts long before a strike is thrown.

It started because someone decided to harm someone else.

Someone got in harms way.

Someone was not aware, or did not recognize the warning signs.

Someone did not diffuse, or let a situation escalate.

The fight is on as soon as you interpret his intent to be hostile. Catch it early enough, you may be able to deescalate. If not, there will come a point where you dang well should get in the first strike. But the fight started long before you took his head off with your anything but weak or ineffective 'first strike.' You want his friends to know that you do know your business and have the will to use your skills to full effect.

Freedom isn't free!

The system I practice is very defensive, and counter-strike oriented by nature, which suits my personal beliefs perfectly, so as a general rule, we don't strike first in a situation.

However (there's always however's aren't there? lol), what I teach my people is that if the person confronting you is much larger or stronger than you, or if you are faced with more than one aggressor, or if he has a weapon... and an opening is present, I wouldn't hesitate to make the first strike...and make it a good one! Trying to put that person down as quickly and decisively as possible.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

This post has made me think iam not agaisnt hiting firsts

but if u where to wait for your aggressor to throw the first puch .with your skill u should be able to block it which in turn would put them off balance giveing u the opertunaity to counter attack with force. hummm ill have to think about this

let not the fear of death stay your hand nor defeat your courage.The warrior who will provail is the one who confronts death its self

One statement, so many nuances on so many levels. This is definitely a gray area if there ever was one.

However (there's always however's aren't there? lol)

This post has made me think iam not agaisnt hiting firsts...with your skill...giveing u the opertunaity to counter attack with force. hummm ill have to think about this

Everything in it's own time and place, and you are the only judge of what's right in any situation where you are assaulted. To quote Mr. Parker, "It's not who's right, but who's left."

I think the main point here is that you stand a far better chance of resolving any situation to your favor if you catch it early, before your opponent strikes or you are forced to take seriouse action yourself. And if it is truly unavoidable, "forewarned is forearmed."

Freedom isn't free!

All Kata's in karate start with a defensive move for a reason....

Not all of those first moves are defensive. A block is a strike, break and or throw when applied properly.

Im with Delta on this one.....

Strike Hard, Strike Fast, Strike First and Strike True!!!!

If the danger is imminent dont wait to be hit. Be a little pro-active its alot safer.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.