What would YOU do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose some of the lingering questions here are, how did you find out this guy was looking into this whole thing? Did the instructor tell you, or did this paper-pusher tell you? Did one of your fellow classmates tell you, or are you running on rumors?

That's an interesting question--- I was training on the dojo floor when the phone rang. Sensei answered, and it was this guy. Sensei called me off the floor to talk to this guy, and he starts asking me a ton of questions about my past--- right there on the phone. So it's not rumors! I talked to Sensei, and he said to me that he cannot "sign off" on black belts. I guess meaning that he needs proof to give to the association, and he is powerless to help me. He said to me that the burden of proof is mine.

I felt VERY comfortable about wearing that rank, and nobody ever questioned it until now.

I KNOW Sensei didn't yank my arm on purpose. He was truly sorry. It STILL hurts me every day and night.

Thanks guys....

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

• 2 weeks later...

If it can't be fixed in any way, consider finding another dojo. I know you've got your kids here, but sometimes is better to leave all behind. Anyway ... the whole situation is strange. They shouldn't have accepted you as a BB from the beginning if they had a problem. Now it's too late to question your right to be a BB. They are no FAIR on this.

Keep us posted please :)

Dang, missed your response on this thread alanseijas.

Well, cut and dry... if your instructor let you in with the BB, but now isn't willing to stand by it... either he questions your legitimacy himself but isn't willing to be upfront with you about it, or the organization he is associated with has him by the balls for some reason.

I suspect the former, which is unfortunate. I think this because if he truly didn't question your legitimacy, but couldn't 'sign-off' on your being a BB, he would 'dance you' through the requirements just to satisfy those paper-pushers.

An instructor should be honest with you, especially on these issues. He shouldn't hand you over to the paper-pushing wolves like this without first being very clear to you that he requires proof as well. In any case, the most important thing here is... your studies are no longer pure. Under these circumstances, it is unlikely that you can practice with a 'free-mind,' meaning... without distraction. Not only is this dangerous to you and others while in class, but it can eventually taint your entire perspective of martial arts and the pursuit of knowledge in this particular art form.

Hate to say it, but if you can't provide the evidence they insist upon... i would have to agree with Ramy. That you get out of there, take your kids with you... and don't look back. Either that, or take the belt off and let your pride take a hit, and the look on your kids' faces turn into question marks.

Whatever decision you make, i wish you luck.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

You earned your belt and have been accepted so wear it. The requirements may have changed, but I'm sure that the requirements from my Bachelor's degree in 1988 have changed too. (I hope they don't ask for it back, then they would be a McUniversity??!! :lol: ) Be direct and polite. It will work out. I think that you may be guilty of thinking too much. I know it happens to me.

One option would be to ask to be probationary and ask for a re-test in a year. Or you could do what others have done and not worry about it until you test for your nidan (a new goal could be looming!). I believe and hope that common sense will prevail. Good luck....

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.