• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would YOU do?

See, that's just it. NOBODY there doubted me or my ability. Even Sensei himself had NO PROBLEM with my rank. It was a guy from the association that decided to look into my background. The associaton is 3 dojos together, and this guy doesn't even train at mine. None of the students had a problem. They even told me I was their favorite BB because I treated them as equal. I don't go for all the kiss my BB * stuff......

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am injured right now anyway, so training there is out of the question; but now my kids have seen me teaching classes, and everyone there calls me "Sir." What do I tell them when I show up with a white belt? Oh, I was just kidding?

I'm almost allways injured! Comes from having an old body and an immature mind (or so I'm told :D ). That, and even less common sense than the average alligator wrestler! :P

I just joined a TKD class here. I started at white, and now am under the instruction of three black belts who I helped prepare for their black belt test- and two of them are about 30 years my junior! Now, I'd never admit to being ornery or sadistic; but immagine how much fun it is to be a white belt and pick the BB's off the matt and ask (smileing in a less than concerned way) "Are you all right?"

Seriousely, no one will think less of you because of a piece of cloth around your waist. Your skills and attitude will speak far louder than your belt.

Freedom isn't free!

I have no problem learning the bo, or sai, or anything else for that matter. I had started the bo before my injury was aggravated. Lateral epicondelitis (yeah, fancy name for tennis elbow!).

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

[quote name="delta1 Now' date=' I'd never admit to being ornery or sadistic; but immagine how much fun it is to be a white belt and pick the BB's off the matt and ask (smileing in a less than concerned way) "Are you all right?"

[/quote]

I did that back when I started at white again in Shorinryu. It WAS fun! It's different now though--- to work out for 7 months as a BB to go back to white is, I don't know.... Sucky. If there was going to be a problem with my rank, I would've started at white IN THE FIRST PLACE! (Not yelling at you, I'm just passionate here..)

i don't know.

maybe i'm just not used to thinking along the same lines as you guys do regarding belts.

it just seems too trivial a thing to get upset about.

i can understand that you feel like you're being demoted as guys there have seen you as a black belt but does it matter?

does it really matter?

will your training be any different?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Alan,

Politics are funny sometimes. Maybe this guy views you as some threat for some reason. Perhaps you should take it up directly with him :D

If they told you when you walked in the school that you'd have to start at white belt until you were evaluated, that's one thing. But to allow your rank, and then call it into question seems funny to me, as if *someone* out there is trying to pull some sort of control on you.

Someone is trying to hide behind technicalities to bring you down. Is your teacher backing you up? Since he let you in with the belt, it almost seems like he has to just to save face.

DM makes a good point about rank not mattering, and to some point he's right. But at the same time, you earned it fairly, albeit a long time ago, and you can still perform to the level that you were tested for. That's a lot better than some people I see walking around with a ratty old black belt ;) IMHO, this isn't about the rank with you.. the rank is just a visual representation of what is at stake.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Have you tried talking to the sensai alone? One on One. Manno e Manno? I think that If he realizes that your are deathly serious about your situation, then he should offer you all the help he can, try to explain to him that the guy looking up your past obvioulsy has a problem with someone better than him not being able to prove it on paper. I say stick with it and it will piece itself together.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Definately talk to your Sensei. Explain to him your issue with this other guy (because he might not even realize you feel "questioned").

Ask him what it would take to earn the cetificate from his school, and ask him to help you get there. :karate:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.