• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would YOU do?

Another topic on this board has gotten me all fired up again about this past year. Sorry if you've already read my story, but I'm looking for opinions here on what I should do. Here is my story:

I started training Isshinryu in 1983. I trained at 3 different schools (keeping my rank with each move), and achieved Sho Dan in 1989. With that, I ended up moving, and found a Shorinryu school close to my new home. I started back at white belt there. New style, no problems with that for me. I advanced very quickly until I broke my ankle, and I never went back to that school.

Now, It was 14 years later (2003); and I had enrolled my 3 year old in an Isshinryu school in 2001. Word got out that I was a Black Belt, and I was "kind of" asked to come to class. The Sensei even gave me a new Black Belt to wear (I am too large for my old size 4!). There were no problems. I even remembered all 8 empty hand katas which was all that was required back in 1989. Weapons were reserved for BB's, and I moved before ever starting them.

I trained there for 7 months, and even went to camp last summer. I was having a blast. Well, one of the head guys in the association decided to try and search out my past to prove that I was indeed a BB. He was unsuccessful in finding my old Sensei that had awarded me my Sho Dan, and I started feeling like they thought that I was lying. They kept saying, "Nobody has heard of that guy." I took it upon myself to try and find my old Sensei, and had a phone number to call. Still no answers. They asked to see my Dan Certificate, but I lost all of my old karate notes and awards in a basement flood years back(my wife TOLD me not to leave that stuff down there!) Before I even started at this school, I told Sensei that I had lost my papers; and he said that it was no problem. Now after 7 months, there obviously IS a problem. We're talking about 14 years ago here. How am I supposed to find a guy I haven't seen in that long, and ask him to not only remember ME; but to give me another certificate? None of these guys in this association were even training back then!

To make matters even worse, I was teaching a student; and Sensei saw me show an arm bar. He walked over, and said I should be doing it like THIS! With that, he grabbed my already injured arm, and yanked the * out of it while I was shouting, "That's the one, that's the one!" He was very sorry, and I KNOW he didn't really do it on purpose, but I'm REALLY in pain. I work on cars for a living, and that's miserable enough without adding pain to my job whenever I need to pick up a tool or something. So, I bowed out of class because of my injury; but I am afraid it probably looks like I'm faking it because I couldn't prove my rank. I'm not even sure Sensei remembers that he's the one that did it to me!

I now have 2 boys enrolled at that school (6 and 4), and think it's a great school. They will stay there until they receive their BB.

What would you guys do? Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you still got the moves, i would think he should be inclined to believe your story.

if you don't know sanchin from naihanchi, and claiming shodan, that's another ball of wax... which you clearly aren't.

i'd be tempted to ask him if he believes you. if he does, what's the problem? if he doesn't, then you can either leave or offer to test and have

your "true" rank evaluated.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

This is a tough one, provoking a gut reaction but...I would have to ask myself why I am training in the first place just to remind myself about all that is good about martial arts, and forget about the losers whose egos are obviously driving their desires to put others beneath them (now i feel better! :) ). Then I would talk with the Master Instructor and find out what his agenda is and what he wants your place to be. If he won't honor your rank, and rank isn't important to you, put on a white belt and train. If rank is important to you then you have a decision to make. Good luck!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Thanks for the reply.

Oh, I've still got the moves. I regularly sit in my Hurley stretch rack at 180 degrees, and can kick and punch better than ever. My kata's are crisp and sure, and Sensei has even complimented me on them. The last time I did Sunusu, I drew all eyes from the dojo. Upon completion, I was told, "Nice kata Mr. Seijas" by Sensei himself.

The problem with re-testing, is that back in 1989, weapons were reserved for BB's; and I know NONE of the katas. I have NO experience with even a bo. By today's standards, I would not pass a Sho Dan test........

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

I am injured right now anyway, so training there is out of the question; but now my kids have seen me teaching classes, and everyone there calls me "Sir." What do I tell them when I show up with a white belt? Oh, I was just kidding?

Thanks, that's not a bad idea. :idea:

Any other suggestions out there? Like the thread name says, "What would YOU do." I cannot help but feel a little insulted.

Edited by alanseijas

Talk with the senior instructor. Be open and honest, ask him to do the same. If you want to come back in, acknowlege that you may have lost some skills being out so long. If it were me (thankfully it isn't), I'd tell him I'm willing to follow his wishes and join his class. He may allow your rank, but require you to train and retest when your skills are to standards, then allow you to advance normally. He may test you and rank you according to where he thinks you are. He may start you at white belt and move you up faster than normal due to your past experience. Any of these would be ok with me, if it were me (as long as test fees aren't exorbatant). And a willingness to take a demotion would demonstrate humility and should answer any concerns about your lieing about rank- especially if you can demonstrate your knowlege and skills. As for injuring your arm, I'd think the instructor would understand. He wouldn't stay in buisiness long if his students couldn't earn a living due to injuries.

Freedom isn't free!

Ok. It apparently bothers him that you are wearing a black belt in his school but can't be held responsible for current material. I guess I can see his beef to some degree. But unless your name is on the wall as "Assistant Instructor" I don't see it as a big deal.

Are you willing to learn the bo? Don't you need Kusanku no sai also? Maybe a good compromise would be brown belt until you know everything. I think the people in the club all respect your ablity and understand that is what you're missing. Like you've said, you've got the moves, so I don't think people would think you were a fraud.

And if they do... whoop em :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

this is what happens when you put to much emphasis on the belt as opposed to what you know.

everytime i started training under a new sifu i was put through the basics.

that meant going through a week of basic punching, stance and steps etc etc.

you could say that this process was just them making sure that i was up to the level that they would want me to be for my 'rank/years experience'.

it didn't bother me that i was a regarded as a beginner at the new club because the people that crossed hands with me know that i'm not a beginner.

you've got to look at it from the point of view of the club.

any new person who joins the club, especially one who has a significant gap in their training and in your case, has no 'proof' of past experience is going to cause friction in the other members training there.

the club doesn't want one one of it's sho dans losing to a lesser grade because

i) other students won't like how it looks (who's that new dude?)

ii) it looks bad for the club (why's he got a black belt?)

iii) it singles you out as a target (look there's the guy who THINKS he's a black belt)

if you've already earned your belt once, then what harm is it to go through the motions again?

for a start, it'll make sure that you are at a level that the instructors are happy with.

like the guys say, if you are good enough, they'll see it.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."