• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the Diffrence between TSD and TKD?

I did Moo Duk Kwon stle TSD, and everything we learned was in Shotokan and Shito-ryu classes when I moved to Orlando. A similar thing happened to me, Ben, I went into class warming up with Bassai and the instructor got all pissy about me "mocking" their high-level form as a "white belt". I promptly told him where I learned it and that I have a black belt in TSD and he apologized. I've given up TSD/TKD though, I wanna experience more full contact stuff, thinking about kyokushin karate or muay thai.

"Damned be he who first cries 'Hold, enough!!!'"

Macbeth

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Moo Duk Kwon stle TSD, and everything we learned was in Shotokan and Shito-ryu classes when I moved to Orlando. A similar thing happened to me, Ben, I went into class warming up with Bassai and the instructor got all * about me "mocking" their high-level form as a "white belt". I promptly told him where I learned it and that I have a black belt in TSD and he apologized. I've given up TSD/TKD though, I wanna experience more full contact stuff, thinking about kyokushin karate or muay thai.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you train with in Orlando? I live in AL now, but originally began training in FL (just north of Cocoa Beach).

If your looking for more contact I might know of a few schools, that is if they're still around (I been gone a while...)

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

• 1 year later...
I practice soo bahk do (tang soo do) and all of our moves and power come from the hips. I don't know if that is true for TKD also, because we have a few black belts in TKD who practice at our studio, and their kicks are different--they don't use their hips. They are very snappy. Also, when they spar, they never use their hands--well, they start out using their hands but after a few seconds they forget them and just drop them to their sides. In sparring during soo bahk do, we punch just as much as we kick.

I have to agree with traditional TKD teaching quick snapping kicks, and also a lack of emphasis on hand techniques:

I've been studying Tae Kwon Do for just over ten years now, but I didn't realize that I wasn't using my hips properly to generate power in my kicks until about four years ago when I started looking into Jeet Kune Do. My TKD instructor, who is very interested in integrating techniques and concepts from other martial arts and other styles of TKD into her classes, had been teaching kicks with an emphasis on snapping the kicks quickly onto and off of the target. When I returned to her school (about 2 years ago) and started kicking through focus pads (ususally knocking them out of the hands of the holders who were unused to holding for kicks with such power) rather than snapping my kicks, I had many students asking me to help them with their technique in order to generate more power. My instructor is now starting to teach kicks the same way, and we are trying to come up with a principle for kicking powerfully as well as quickly, without losing the form of traditional TKD kicking (high, fast, sometimes flashy kicks)

Just to fill in the interested: my instructor started training in England under an ITF instructor and then switched to WTF when she moved to the states, and hated it (or rather hated her new instructor's methods of teaching) When she decided to open her own school, although officially a WTF school, she decided that she would never limit herself to teaching according one sole method or philosophy, and as a result we study both WTF and ITF forms and we point spar as well as olympic spar. We also study a lot of self defense and takedowns and joint locks, but in sparring, kicking still rules, which is a habit I am trying to break. Interestingly, I've found that TKDers can't really defend against powerful punches (which aren't allowed in any point sparring (light contact is) and are only allowed to the body in olympic sparring.) TKDers tend to come way off balance when kicking, especially when kicking high, and a quick, powerful jab can easily knock them over (or at least more off balance) if timed properly.

I'd love to see how this startegy would work in the Olympics, as I don't recall seeing one punch thrown this past summer at the games. I think that the competitor who realizes the usefulness of punching in TKD competition would easily take the tournament. Any feedback on this from others? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :karate:

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

well i tend to agree with you.I take tangsood and we have had tkd guys come in and woork out with us and your right.Thay could not handel our hand tecniqes and thay didnt have much power on theay kicks thay were suprised on the force we could genirate in are kicks.But thay were from a school who focises on the sport aspect.Also i am happy to hear your in a chool which teaches groundwoork and selfdefince.Iiits not herd of arround my town the tkd schools here are all feet liittle or no hands amd very littlr selfdefince.

Also i am happy to hear your in a chool which teaches groundwoork and selfdefince.Iiits not herd of arround my town the tkd schools here are all feet liittle or no hands amd very littlr selfdefince.

It really is a great atmosphere to train under. I had to move to Boston from southern NH (where my dojang is) for college, and I tried to find a school in boston to train at and they were all mcdojangs. Literally, every TKD dojang (didn't check schools of other styles) in the entire city of Boston is strictly a commercial, sports oriented facility. I was shocked. Now I make the trip from boston to NH to train at my old dojang because I like my instructor's style of teaching so much better. We're actually required to study some part of a different martial art for our third dan test and make a presentation of what we learned at the test. My instructor has also changed the name of the school from "Tae Kwon Do Academy" to "Martial Arts Academy" and we've got Ju Jitsu, XMA, Nunchuckudo, and we had an Aikido master teaching for a while but he had to move so we're trying to get another. I personally am training in Capoeira with intentions of teaching it in my dojang, and I have the full support of my instructor behind me. Like I said, it's an excellent environment to train within, and I hope more dojang owners start incorporating cirriculums like this in their schools. It would certainly be a breath of fresh air in the martial arts community.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

thats cool at the dojang I train at we learn tangsoodo hapkido kungfu and judo.It wounderful getiing all the woorkl froum giffrent arts.I fill comfetable in almost any situation now also i love the fact that i can use my tecnique at any angel or distince.I hsave friend who takes bjj he just got telling me last night and i quot he said man i fell reall good on my back but i fell like a fish out of water on my feet he told me man if i am not 3 feet froum you and in a clinch i dont know what too do.I felt sory for him and happy for my self because i fell just as good standing as i do grapling so i fell its very inmportant too have croos training also unless your in and art like mine that incorparate other arts into theam.

yea it all depends on the version of tkd.

itf-'traditional'

wtf-'sport'

youll find itf is more like tsd where wtf is what you see at the olympics.

there are of course, heaps of other organisations that mix/change these two main styles.