• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the Diffrence between TSD and TKD?

Is it the same stuff but diffrent name and maybe diffrent arrangment of forms. Or is there actually quite a bit of physical diffrences on how the excute the moves. Both arts rely heavy on kicks right?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sparred a few TSD guys at a national tournament this past summer. They seemed to be more into olympic style sparring. Seemed to be more kickboxer like with their kicks. I am not sure of the major differences, but that was two that I noticed.

Well, I guess they are almost the same. Maybe TSD is more traditional when its compared to TKD. But, there are TKD that combine both, traditional Forms, New Forms, Olympic sparring, etc...

In the big picture, it can be said that TSD is traditional martial art and TKD is a modern Sport martial art.

TKD and TSD,

Tang Soo Do is the Korean version of Karate (adapted from Karate and basically the physical translation of Karate in Korea).

Taekwon-Do is a traditional art as well that was created with the modification of techniques from Karate-Do as well as other arts. (Submissionfighter, you generalize TKD as a sport, however it is a combat art with combat applications that has a modified sporting capability...Not all TKD is sport sparring!)

Many Kwans united unde the umbrella name of Taekwon-Do...and as such there are many variations of the art! The kwan of my teachings (Oh Do Kwan) does have many kicking techniques, but it has an equal number of hand techniques. Furthermore, it has releases, throws, and joint destruction!

This is the ITF ciricullum originated by Gen. Choi Hong Hi!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

well like stated here and there I will stress on a few areas that others have too

1. Tae kwon do is not always a sport and competition based art with flashy kicks only good for point sparring.

There are more than one version of TKD, one, a style that I studied for over 13 yrs was very combat and street oriented. This I have wrote a professional research paper that has been viewed and published numerous times, if you would like to see it send me a private message. It is about 9 pages total and consists of a very interesting history.

2. There are some schools that teach the same TKD as another school teaches TSD. I studied a school over here in Japan, a fellow instructor that teaches on the military base with myself that has the exact same katas as the TKD that I grew up with.

3. My version of TKD was taught by my instructor who trained with Chuck Norris, yet Mr. Norris teaches TSD instead of TKD.

4. I will make this my final point. It all depends on the instructor on how the class is taught. Some like to have the students more sport oriented while others want them to be able to defend theirselves on the street. It all depends overall on the instructor and his/her intent on an instructor as how they would like their students to turn out as either efficient street fighters, self defense, a sport or a combination of these. Think about it all and keep what you learn in your mind and then think about that as it applies to all other things around you. By the way I have a black belt in two styles of TKD and a black belt in TSD. So feel free to ask me if you have more questions.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Kind of make it out like TSD and TKD pretty much do the same thing. only diffrences is that of the instructors weather its sport or self defesense.

-Jeff

Actually, I said Modern Sport/Martial Art,means, its both a Sport AND a martial art.

I did WTF TKD and the "version" i was taught worked for Both, competition and Self defense. But, i don't think WTF is traditional Anymore. Its more a Modern version of TKD.