• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Becoming an Instructor.

I'm 15 and been thinking about opening a school when i'm older. I wanted to know, from the instructors in this site, if it pays well. i know you need a big dojo and the begining will be hard, but for the long run. i wanted to know how much a class should cost ( all ages, 1 hour a day, and four days). I take Shaolin Kenpo Karate.

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
let me tell you, when ever you go into a field that is based on education you wont make much money, The true reward is to see your students learn. So that is something that you have to live with. It may not be the thing for you but think about it, you go time. Also if you are making lots of money by teaching, you are probably setting yourself up for a McDojo.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Hey CsrCrz88,

I think its commendable that you want to open a karate school. And while pay is a valid question (hey...everyones gotta pay the bills right!) --- make sure it is not your number 1 concern.

[soapbox]

Concern yourself with quality karate and the rest will take care of itself!!!

How far off were you thinking about opening a school? After college I'd recommend....get some business classes under your belt (no pun intended)

[/soapbox]

cost depends on the demographics. If your school is in a low income area, your prices need to be lower. How many dojos are around? Stuff like that.

Best of luck to you!

KarateForums.com Sempai

CsrCrz88, I don't teach martial arts, but I have taught in several fields. I'll echo the idea that financial gain is not a good reason to teach, though you should not sell yourself short either. I've allways said that the one attribute that sets the outstandin g instructor apart from the good instructor is this: he/she has an overwhelming desire to give the student the tools to become better than the instructor himself. This attitude puts the subject or discipline first, the student next, and the instructor/business after that.

For now, I'd recomend learning your art inside and out. Learn to work it, and and why it works. Also get some leadership and instructor training. Work under as many instructors as you can and watch their style of teaching. Learn what works with instruction and what doesn't, and just like your art be sure to personalize or customize the instruction style to yourself. Get familiar with other arts also, as you'll be answering questions about why you do some things different or how to handle their methods.

That you are thinking about this at 15 puts you miles ahead of the average instructor, but only if you make a long term plan and work it. Don't get in a hurry, quality counts more than speed and you have plenty of time. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

I would look for succeful schools and see how they did there business modeling. Just becareful about business eithics. You want it a Win Win situation for you and the customer. Other wise you will be burned with a bad rep and probably lost of students and income in the end.

Alot of succesful schools have good marketing promotions. Stuff like black belt programs, weapons programs for kids, They sale martial arts supply stuff, plus mutitude of other programs that do help the student but cost a bit extra which brings in the cash. Plus a good one that one of my old instructors is using. Is with his advanced students who are teaching. Who ever the help bring in they get a commission off of them and also a certain comission for every month that student stays in. This is a win win. The student gets incentive to bring people in and also helps students out to stay in more. This gives the new student more one one with one of the advance peopole with there needs in the martial arts. It works out nice.

There are many things you can do. I would look through the web for something of profesional martial arts business and such and ask succesful school owners. -Jeff

Thanks alot you guys. Thanks for the info. i don't only wanna get money and all but i want to teach. Yea i kno i'm 15 but i see that helping some kids out and teaching them MA is pretty cool. I can't live with a job that i don't like. i want to have a good and fun job and one that helps people and kids alot. i finaly kno what's a McDojo :lol:

CsrCrz88 - All comments so far have been right on.The college is one of the best, for business knowledge as well as a backup plan. Also do not be in a hurry at 15 you have at least 10 years to get your schooling in the MA and in Life. Keep your focus and work your plan. Good Luck

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

I run a club at a YMCA right now, which is a great way to get started. I fully intend to do it full-time one day, but let me tell you, if you're in it for the money (not suggesting you are), you're going to have a lot of disappointment along the way. I know some people who make a good living off it, and even some who have gotten to be what you might call 'rich', bu only after a ton of hard work, and in some cases literally living in a car because there was no money....

I think your best bet is to head to college first, get a degree, get a regular job, and start a school part time out of a YMCA, health club, rec center, etc...build up a student base first. Once you have enough students to cover the basic monthly expenses on a building, you can start loking commercial, but I'd still keep up the regular job awhile. In my experience, you need about 100 students before you can start looking at going commercial full-time. In some places it may be mre, in some places less. That's my plan, at any rate...

The only other option is to get some start-up capital first...which can be considerably difficult as well...and then you have to pay it back, with interest...

Hey,

I am graduating from college soon (Kinesiology major, Business minor) and have been teaching martial arts for my instructor for around 8 years (ive been the head instructor for about 2 years). I am going to open up my own school a couple of years after I graduate. If you are really serious about opening up a school then send me a pm with any questions you want. I'd be glad to help.

---Kyle