• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reverse breathing...What is it good for?

:lol:

This is an exercise to train your abdominals to let the diaphram pull down. I'm not suggesting you spar with your stomach pooched out. :D

That'd be a pretty funny sight anyway.

You can perform the correct breathing with an tighted stomach, once you've got the hang of it. The key is not to let the abs pull back toward the spine, they should only tighten (well, actually they should already be tight from training).

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tufrthanu,

I have suffered broken ribs, detached ribs (torm from the muscles at the sternum, ect.) and have been incapasitated by such blows but never "knocked out" ...that happens from either loss of blood to the brain or sudden impact of the brain!

Furthermore, it is objective to exhale strongly when getting hit. Please bare in mind that a strong kick to the abdomen wether tightened or ballooned will hurt...period!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

Maybe we need to get an anatomy model to demonstrate. :D

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:wiosyh2S9N4J:www.surgery.usc.edu/divisions

The red below the lungs is the diaphram, and the dashes along the sides and above the lungs are the ribs.

See how the lungs are trapped when the diaphram is not allowed to pull down? The lung expansion is limited to that small area between the ribs all around and the diaphram below.

When you allow the diaphram to pull down, as it was intended, it allows the lungs to expand downward to their full capacity.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

This is Daoist or Taoist breathing. As Spookey said before. IT is meant to provide the maximum amount of oxygen absorption. It is also meant to build chi in the dan tien. I believe it is referred to as stoking the furnace, but I could be mistaken about that. I would have to look it up.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.