• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aiming to bounce or to go through?

Here's an idea for senior students = pick a lower grade that you don't like much and hit them repeatedly with both 'bounce' and 'follow through' punches. Then get them to tell you which hurt the most...

J/K PLEASE don't try that!.

But Im a man of science and sacrafices have to be made for the advacement of all mankind...... :brow: :brow: :brow:

The karate gods must be appeased!!!!

So many subjects to choose from..... :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what your saying but I am not talking about surface hitting. Yeah if yout touch the surface and pull back its not going to hurt as much. Ex. round house kick. But if you go through. Example Muay thai round house kick. Then you get more power. But even in muay thai from what my friend showeed me your going through but you still bounce off so to speak you just have more through motion. same with a punch is you still make through power but you pull back as well. -Jeff

jr you are talking about exactly what I was saying in my original post. Penetrate and withdraw in order to leave the greatest amount of kinetic energy in the target.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Exactly sasori_te. People on here aree talking about doing one or the other it seems like. Glad I am on same page as some one else. -Jeff

I believe the main concept here is that the withdrawal comes after the punch/kick is applied to a target behind the contact point, not before or just at the point, which is a common novice misunderstanding.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

jr you are talking about exactly what I was saying in my original post. Penetrate and withdraw in order to leave the greatest amount of kinetic energy in the target.

While this is an effective hit, it is erronious to claim that it's more powerful than hitting through and not bouncing. Energy has already been transferred at the time you withdraw, it's like backing up your car after an accident.

Well, in some cases you do need follow through or the move will be sloppy. I think it all depends on the move. You really dont want extensive follow through on a jab, but a thrust kick....its in the name.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

JerryLove .... While I agree with you that energy is transferred no matter what, I believe we either have a difference of opinion as to the most efficient means of transfer or we have a misunderstanding and are actually talking about the same thing. As I wrote earlier, punching through an object and leaving the punch or kick in place re-absorbs more of the kinetic energy that was delivered to the target initially than if you quickly withdraw the strike. The amount that is re-absorbed and the effectiveness of any strike has a number of determining factors such as: mass behind the strike, acceleration of the mass, size of the area delivering the strike, the density of the object being struck as well as the area struck versus the center of mass of the object being struck ..... blah blah blah.....After putting a little more thought into it, each type has it's place and there are a number of factors that will make a case for either.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Try hitting a bag or Makiwara even better. You hit and go through and the punch isn't pulled back after you made some pentration contract you will feel the viberation shock go back into your body meaning you are taking some of the energy and shock your self. You pull back and it stays there at the makiwara board. Which has more effect. Some terms they say it causes more of an emplosion on the body which is what I heard from Parker Kenpoist weathe its true or not I don't know. All I know is it works as for causing more pain. Techniically you can do both if applied right.

What ever works for you . -Jeff