• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aiming to bounce or to go through?

Science Physics states that more force and impulse is exerted when there is a short amount of contact time because of the sudden change in momentum. And if the force giving object is bounced, the force will be much greater.

I wonder if the law transends to punching and kicking? Because I have been taught punching/kicking through the opponent/object is always the best method. However aiming to go through the object would increase the contact time, meaning less sudden change of momentum, resulting in a weaker impulse, resulting in a weaker hit because I haven't been doing the "bounce" method.

I remember too, instinctively I would hit things in a bounce motion, instead of going through(for example when punching something I intended to have my knuckle aim about an inch in, rather than to aim behind the thing). But from hearing to "go through" so much, I forced myself to do so.

So, bounce or go through?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the force object moves through the contact point you have much greater results. The contact point then becomes the "bounce", it contracts and moves away from the force giving object. Here are some simple examples that come to mind.

1. Baseball bat/golf club hitting a ball: Better players follow through past impact. Many are taught as the swing is the full motion with the ball just getting in the way at the midpoint of the swing.

2. Football/soccer: You kick through the ball.

3. Hammering a nail: You aim for the head but drive the hammer.

Now apply these concepts to a punch to someone's chest. To burry it and move the person you must be rooted and drive through them. You may be able to jab someone but it is not the "knockout blow" because the jab has a greater chance of recoiling or bouncing. Hopefully when you strike you are the "bouncer" and your target is the "bouncee".

Anyway, this is my understanding. Anyone else care to share?

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I disagree to a point. The human body is not a baseball, golfball or any other type of ball that are specifically designed to bounce off of another object. Hitting a heavy bag or water core bag will give you a much better analogy. A person's body is made largely of water. What happens when you drop a pebble into a puddle? The waves will rush outward from the point of impact. When the waves reach the edge of the puddle they will bounce off and return to the point of origin. The same ripple effect happens with the human body. When you punch a specific point on the human body, especially in the trunk area, the energy from the punch will return back to the point of impact. If the hand is still there it will cause a dampening effect by absorbing the return energy. If you punch into and "through the target and quickly remove the fist, the energy from the punch will stay inside the target and will cause greater damage until the waves dissipate. You can see the effect that I'm talking about if you tap a medium sized water balloon once keeping your fingers on the ballon after the tap and once pulling the fingers away quickly. I'll take any questions now. :)

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

If you are punching to a harder target like the head, depending on which part of the head you are hitting. The face area can be punched through since there are many hard smaller bones that can be damaged by this type of punch. Also, keep in mind that boxers and kickboxers wear gloves. This dampens energy transfer so that the fighters can fight longer with less damage. Knowing the physics of energy transfer in a liquid medium, as well as knowing the different causes for knockouts will help immensely in this area.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Science Physics states that more force and impulse is exerted when there is a short amount of contact time because of the sudden change in momentum. And if the force giving object is bounced, the force will be much greater.

Science is a method, not an authority you can appeal to. Also, you are taking a well known piece of physics and extrapolating far beyond its actual information.

The amount of force transmitted between Newtonian pointal masses (here's a hint, you are not a pointal mass) is related to the amount of time the transferrcance of inertia takes; but that's where rigidity is not factored, the objects are impacting masses in free-float, and where inirtial difference (the only cause of force) is fixed.

wonder if the law transends to punching and kicking? Because I have been taught punching/kicking through the opponent/object is always the best method.

Imagine your opponent is a board with a pillow on it. You want to break the board. Will swinging as hard as you can and stopping your fist right after you make contact with the pillow work?

However aiming to go through the object would increase the contact time, meaning less sudden change of momentum, resulting in a weaker impulse, resulting in a weaker hit because I haven't been doing the "bounce" method.

So try it. Have someone hit you each way and see which hurts more.

So, bounce or go through?

If you want to damage a human being, you are going to need to penitrate. You can bounce your movement, but you will need to go farther than "one inch" before you do or all you will do is sting.

If you want to damage a human being, you are going to need to penitrate. You can bounce your movement, but you will need to go farther than "one inch" before you do or all you will do is sting.

I quoted that from Jerry love, my point exactly. You need both. You stay on the target you can cause alot of damage but if you penetrate and bounce you cause even more. -jeff

if you 'penetrate' and aim to go through your target with a punch or a kick it will do far more damage than if you 'bounce off the surface'.

Here's an idea for senior students = pick a lower grade that you don't like much and hit them repeatedly with both 'bounce' and 'follow through' punches. Then get them to tell you which hurt the most...

J/K PLEASE don't try that!

Seriously, if you aim to go through your target then it will cause more damage than only attaching the surface of it. For example, a needle stuck in the end of your finger would do more damage if it was pushed deep than if it just scratched the surface. It's the same with punch and kick attacks.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!