• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The place of sport in MA

What do you believe is the place of sport within martial arts? Do you believe that sport combat (taken to mean semi-contact with rules) is a vital part of trainign or a dilution of the fighting ways which MA is based on?

I think we are stuck with a catch22 situation: I would put forward that the training emphasis on winnign tournament bouts is in danger of destroying the roots of Karate, TKD and Judo as workable street defence systems, and therefore, in my mind, is not somehting we should overly encourage, but removing the sporting aspect would remove much needed publicity for martial arts in the west and could result in forms of MA dying out over here.

What are others' opinions on the position of sporting MA and the training towards it in MA today?

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Great question. I think there is a place for the sport aspect, but too many people believe they are learning self defense when they are actually learning how to point spar. I like a school that can provide both aspects, because it is fun to compete in tournaments, but students should know the difference, and know that tournament sparring is not self defense.

Find a balance between the two. But you will find insructors that do both. Others that do one extreme or the other. That are heavily into tournmets or totatly against them and just say there art "remainse pures" and for self defense only.

-Jeff

The way that I teach point sparring in my dojo, and explain it to the students is this. Point sparring teaches you accuracy, timing, control and speed. It is basically a game of "Tag, you're it!" We also do continuous kumite where you just spar for a set amount of time and don't stop for points, other than to acknowledge to your opponent that he got you.

We also use full contact boju gear, designed for all out punches and kicks to the body and head. Sweeps are allowed, but again, we have to have certain ruiles in effect to prevent injuries.

As for tournamenyts, what I tell my people is that they can participate if they want to, but they need to keep in mind that just because they bring home a trophey, that doesn't mean they can handle themselves on the street. The opposite is also true of course. Tournaments are viewed as "play time". Go (if you want to that is), meet some nice people. see different systems, make some friends..and above all..have some FUN! But keep clear the distinction between real fighting, and play fighting.

I have very few people that participate in tournaments.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If you don't compete heavily in Point tournments your school lacks the true spirit of martial arts. and your system and teaching are incomplete.

Thank you,

That is All

The Mushu!

• 1 month later...

I disagree, Most martial arts schools do not compete in tournaments. This does not say anything bad about that school. My school does compete in tournaments as well as I do. This does not make a school down the road not as good. The true meaning of martial arts is self defense not competition. Competition is made for fun and to test your skills.

If you don't compete heavily in Point tournments your school lacks the true spirit of martial arts. and your system and teaching are incomplete.

Thank you,

That is All

The Mushu!

Are you being sarcastic, or did you really mean what you wrote?

• 1 month later...

wow what a blinkered view that fella has. Im guessing his instructor is extremely biased. There are no bad pupils, only bad teachers.

"sweat is the essential element. The sea in which the martial artists are born and through which they swim"

I think that sport does have a place in martial arts, but people should realise that that is all it is - a sport. There is a difference between tournament fighting and traditional martial arts. There is also a big difference between tournament fighting and street self-defence too. It's important that martial artists recognize the differences, because many people compete in sport martial arts but think that just because they win at point fighting then it automatically makes them martial artists.

I think that it is sad when sport martial art becomes confused with traditional martial arts, though. A lot of members of the public now associate sport & competition with what the martial arts are all about. There's a place for sport MA, if that's your thing, but IMO it shouldn't be confused with traditional MA.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I hate this stupid debate. People need to stop worrying about what is going to happen to martial arts. There will always be traditionalists, and there will always be the tournament competitors. MA isnt going anywhere. Maybe for a while the sport side of MA will be popular...but when people get bored of that they will go back to traditional. Both sides have great apeal so stop stressing. what happens will happen, and there is little you can do but stick to your guns. If your a traditionalist, keep practicing. if your a sport competitor keep competing.

Man to man, Soldier to soldier, Dust to dust.