• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was hoping I could get advice from some grapplers and groundfighters :D

I study TJJ among other things, and my new sensei (the old one is in training for his next dan and just had a kid :) ) being an ex Judo champ has been bringing in more and more groundfighting. Usually starting back to back.

This used to be the part of the session I hated, but as I improved (Thanks to practise BJJ videos and you guys :D ) I've really started to like it. However being quite small and with very little muscle I'm having trouble escaping some pins, particularly mune gatame, yoko shiho gatame (which are similar in principle to a side mount but with more limb control-I think :-? )

Does anyone have any tips, methods for escaping side mounts and any other tips for this kind of sparring (any specific to b2b?) for the little guy. Most appreciative if you do :D

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Since you are a smaller guy you really need to work on the shrimp (hip escape). And for the back to back there are a couple was to go. First be quicker than they are in turning around also as you come around stay low and go for a double leg take down. Get your shoulder on their belly button or lower and arms around their legs then posture up and take them down to the side so you don't fall into their guard.

ha i feel ya. I love grappling and im a small guy. Even when im getting my butt kicked because everytime you get whooped learn from the lesson and think about how you can escape it. What you dont realise is sometimes you have the upper hand in situations. You can squirm out of posisions/submissions and escape and turn things around real fast with your quickness. Basically be the first one to try and attack. Always have a plan. If you cant be the first one to attack dont try and muscle the guy whether it be a take down or whatever. Sometimes the situation calls for a little struggle but even if they get the takedown/offensive don't fret. Get really good at defensive because you will be there a lot. Try and work on your defenses a lot get good at that. My old bjj teach was extreemly good and has won many compitions and he's not a big guy. He said to the class once that he always likes to be on the defense because he can control the guy. Try and work on your back and get comfrotable. See what works and what doesnt. Keep your gaurd tight and when theyve got you in side mount keep that knee up and verry tight to ther ribs!!!! That is key .....dont want them to get mount now do ya? Also what ^ said work on popping your hips out and pushing whatever is on you away. Also what we little guys have an advantage on is rear naked chokes :D . I love em cuz once you get on a big guys back they really struggle. If you can try and sneak it in with explosivness and the art of suprise haha. when your standing try to quickly zip under his arm turn around and as your turning jump on his back put in the hooks with your legs and apply the choke. i love that one. Try it also on the ground. As soon as that opening is there charge it. It's an easy win. Well hope that helped let me know how your next class goes.

fight til you die

definitely work the shrimp. And get in the habit of going to your side as soon as possible. If he's passing your guard and you can't regain it, get to your side. Just be careful not to give him your back.

when they are in your guard, constantly attack. move them to keep them worried about their base. If you have the opportunity, sweep them.

Well taking an amateur's guess, most pins work by applying pressure to the chest, impeding motion and making it hard to breath thus harder and more tiring to move.

If you are on your side and guarding your chest it would probably be harder to apply this pressure and thus making a pin unlikely.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

I have found that bigger opponents can get quite frustrated when they are unable to turn or make progress on a little opponent and eventually they get reckless and create an opening or opportunity. Using your center of mass effectively to become "immovable" and having patience is the key here. Of course, being smaller means less energy is used so the bigger they are the faster they tire out too. :wink:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

1. when you shrimp, you are getting to your side

2.when you sweep, be it guard or half guard, you need to get to your side.

3. there's more room for you to move, and it's harder for him to pin you.

rule of thumb: when you submit, stay on your back and use lateral motion. when you escape, get to your side.