• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ji'in kata

ESA-Shotokan

I was obviously asleep or the such when this happened, but I have read elsewhere that the kata Ji'in is no longer recognised by the JKA and that this has been the case for some, four years now!

Does anybody else know more about that?

:-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I hadn't heard that. As far as I know it is still recognised as a Shotokan kata, including with the JKA (in all its various forms!).

ESA-Shotokan, where did you read that info?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Sensei Sugiura officially announced that this was no longer a recognised JKA kata around 4 years ago. At the Crystal Palace course in August, Sensei Ueki told students taking 4th Dan to pick another kata when they announced Ji'in.

he may have wanted them to do a more difficult kata. I am not sure about this one. The problem I see with that is that it is on the WKF's Kata list, and it says that Shotokan recognizes it. I don't know...maybe things have changed.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

students taking 4th Dan to pick another kata when they announced Ji'in.

Wait...they did Jiin for a 4th Dan test...? Strange. I assume Ji'in. Is the same as Jiin. This is odd because we test Jiin for 2nd Kyu. This is shito-ryu...

Kenneth Funakoshi still does it but under the spelling of Giin. Same kata. The JKA don't do a few now from what I hear such as Wankan, and Meiyko.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Sorry I hit post to soon lol

Reasons for this vary but this one makes sense to me. The JKA goes by the Best karate books written by (sp) Nakiyamia. However he died before writting the book on Giin, Wankan, and Meyiko. So they have stopped doing them because those books are basically their guidlines.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."