• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jason Delucia’s Five Animals

because if he wins the chinese martial art tag is going to be 'worth' more...

'traditional' styles especially of chinese origin have been noticeably absent from these events and when ever they show, they (especially for you) tend to lose.

imagine the publicity/hype that can be gained from winning using a traditional martial art tag?

before anyone snaps at me, i am not saying that this guy IS doing this.

it is just my thoughts.

kinda like greg rusedski (the canadian) representing great britain in tennis...

all style is systemic to the rules of the time .you would use different tactics against a cross bow than a referee.the reason i convert my kungfu to aikido is one of longevity,but in the end all styles contain the same elements in different forms.any five animal kung fu,five pillars of aikido,five directions of attack,the book of five rings,'go rin no sho'.......taken to extreme all styles have stop hit , joint lock ,chokes throws (floating throws vs entering throws )even thai boxing allows a hip throw as do most thai boxing forms have 108 movements so does wing chun form and the long kalipari form from india where they all came from .the principals and forms get re-named and reregulated due to current trend .chinese martial arts have the same grappling elements as any jujitsu form but in their day that was the secret of the master.example many people think that tae kwon do is primarily a kicking art,but long ago the decision was made to keep the emphasis on the fancy stuff for sport .every real master of tae kwon do's biggest weapon is the reverse puch at least.and while you wait for big fancy kick... PUNCH

you've heard of 'sirum'?korean wrestling?you've heard of bando?bermese kung fu?these people did not sell out to other styles ,they curtailed their styles to current events. thanx

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sim,

In regards to your questions about the 5 Animals Gung -Fu system. With respect to you and your system I have to say that there are some unfortunately incorrect statements. The 5 Animals system dates back to 5 masters that adopted the movements of animals in human fighting styles. The praying mantis, the white crane, the snake, the tiger, and the dragon were included in the system. I read you statements about the 5 animals form and wonder what exactly you were talking about. Since the Priests of the Hunan gung-fu systems, where the 5 animals system originates, were soft stylists and were against the use of staged forms. My Instructor, the Late Grandmaster Suk Lee, advised the use of the rigid form takes away from the fluidness offered by the each of the 5 animals. To briefly state we were required to spend one year on each animal and a lifetime allowing the 5 to flow together into a cogent whole.

Your information, however, is not totally incorrect. There are some hard stylists that continue to utilize sections of the system and call them Shaolin. The very fact that I have seen black belts on so called Chinese Gung-Fu stylists is suspicious. I had to endure ritual combat with a man 12 years my senior to earn my Red Sash as a deciple of the Grandmaster. I could only earn it by Knockout, Submission, or Stealth.

Good post. Just one thing:

taken to extreme all styles have stop hit , joint lock ,chokes throws (floating throws vs entering throws )even thai boxing allows a hip throw as do most thai boxing forms have 108 movements so does wing chun form and the long kalipari form from india where they all came from

Where have you seen a thai boxing venue that allowed a hip throw? All I've ever seen allowed are sweeping type throws and some pickups - nothing where you load the person onto your body.

Good post. Just one thing:
taken to extreme all styles have stop hit , joint lock ,chokes throws (floating throws vs entering throws )even thai boxing allows a hip throw as do most thai boxing forms have 108 movements so does wing chun form and the long kalipari form from india where they all came from

Where have you seen a thai boxing venue that allowed a hip throw? All I've ever seen allowed are sweeping type throws and some pickups - nothing where you load the person onto your body.

i say this you haven't seen enough thai boxing ,and it should be taken into consideration that hip throws don't have to look like conventional hip throws depending on how they are being blocked .often times it looks like a tai otoshi when it's done or a kokyu nage.point is ,is that there is throwing ,the plumb tree grip obscures conventional judo style in apearance but there is throwing in thai boxing .twenty years ago thai boxing looked alot more like burmese full contact.and then in this country i've seen ''thai boxing '' but with no elbow strikes.if some one saw it they might think there were no elbows in thai boxing ,but we know better.thanx

I agree that there is throwing, just not a hip throw that's allowed in competition. I will also agree that there is a tai otoshi type throw. However, tai otoshi is regarded as a hand throw and not a hip throw.

the "thai boxing" in this country follow the "modified thai boxing" rules. They don't allow elbows under most of the US sanctions. If I'm not mistaken, however, they are allowed to some extent (to the body) in vegas.

jason, can you post a sample fight training regimen? It'd cool to see what type of stuff you guys actually do.

basically the things you focus on are stamina twards that end.by that i mean that the event you train for should be the main conditioner rounded off with equal time spent running ,bag work ,swimming..etc.so if you trained for three five minute rounds a good work schedule might be 15 minutes of running w/ intervals.followed by five minute rounds bag training.followed by five minute rounds (round robin is best)sparring .maybe one round take downs ,one mat,and one strikes ,finish one round mixed.don't do same every day though you'll burn out interest wise. good luck

Ive been syaing to my students and others, that the martial arts, or fighting arts, are developed per era of the needs. So, these methods, etc., have to change to the need of this era.

For example, per medical analogy, to stop profuse bleeding, a wound had to be cauderized. Or leeches were applied for ailements. Blood transfusions were not even thought of and when it was introduced, there was skepticism. Medicine did not continue on a archaic need. It changed per era as discoveries were introduced. Should martial/fighting arts in this era, per surviving combat reflect archaic methods using or against archaic weapons?